Material Finish Over Radius

Hello all,

I am planning a material finish for my next guitar. The top of the guitar will have a 1/8" to 1/4" radius all around. I was wondering how you would go about getting the material over this evenly all around the guitar and if you could can I use a larger radius....say 1/2"? One idea I had was to put a piece of masking tape up to the point where the material ends at the radius and trim it off there. I was afraid of shrinkage that way though and the line of material would be uneven and not to good to look at. Any ideas welcome!

i've done two material covered guitars and both of them had a radius. if you'll go to the home page here and then click tutorials and then finishing i think you'll find one of material guitars. i followed those instructions and they worked very well. i didn't wrap the material over the radius..i stopped it and then shot a poorboy burst around the edges. good luck. by the way..here's a link to a pic of one of my material guitars..

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/867...yofPA290002.JPG

i've done two material covered guitars and both of them had a radius. if you'll go to the home page here and then click tutorials and then finishing i think you'll find one of material guitars. i followed those instructions and they worked very well. i didn't wrap the material over the radius..i stopped it and then shot a poorboy burst around the edges. good luck. by the way..here's a link to a pic of one of my material guitars..

Wow. Nice job, man. You are making me reconsider my finishing choices for this up and coming project.

Wow. Nice job, man. You are making me reconsider my finishing choices for this up and coming project.

thanks..the chief of surgery at a san antonio hospital bought it..big jimmy buffett fan. i bought the material at walmart..they've got some pretty cool stuff there. they're a lot of work but they're fun.

by the way, here's the link to another one that i haven't finished yet.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/867653/Pb060002.jpg

I have a question about the material finish. I have the fabric coated with filler and sanded down but I'm running into a problem around the edges. I'm trying to sand the edges smooth but the fabric is showing through and not sanding right. It almost looks like the filler didn't soak into the fabric, just covered it.

What filler do you use for your finishes?

i used lacquer based sanding sealer. it's very thick and built up quickly. i applied it with a brush and had to do a good bit of sanding to get rid of the brush marks but it really helped fill in around the edges of the material. you have to sand lightly around the edges..kinda feather them in to keep the material from showing through.

good luck.