Buzz Where Once There Was None

Nekul

Hope you guys can help. I am sure it is the heat but for some reasons my beloved Recycled Flying V has developed a buzz when playing in the open positions, it stops around the 5th fret. I raised the nut slightly, it was really low anyway and that helped but really that is just a quick fix.

How do I save the neck? Do I need to relevel the frets or what? I dont want to stuff it up. I HATE stinking hot Australian summers! :D

link

Edited by Guitarfrenzy

Yep, did that first. Maybe I didnt do it enough. I wont worry about putting the nut back to where it was, it was real low anyway. I will give the truss rod another 1/8 of a turn and wait. THe relief is set at .008 though so I shouldnt really have problems there. It just seems wierd that it is only in those first 4 frets.

It just seems wierd that it is only in those first 4 frets.

That's a clear sign of an over trussed neck (not enough relief). If you can look down the neck (from the headstock) looking at the frets reflecting light in the middle but not at the ends? You 'should' be able to do this and see light off all frets and if you don't it's not flat.

I ran a straight edge over the frets with teh strings off and it was a little over trussed. THere was very little relief, not the .008 I set it at a few months back. Apart from teh weather nothing else has changed. Anyhow, I adjusted the truss rod again today and let it settle for a few hours. It is better but there is still a little buzz. I will go another small turn and leave that for a few days.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I ran a straight edge over the frets with teh strings off and it was a little over trussed. THere was very little relief, not the .008 I set it at a few months back. Apart from teh weather nothing else has changed. Anyhow, I adjusted the truss rod again today and let it settle for a few hours. It is better but there is still a little buzz. I will go another small turn and leave that for a few days.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The first mistake you're making is taking strings off for measurement. It should be done while tuned up and in the playing position. So your measuring has little meaning.

Loosen (not remove) all the strings, make a truss rod change, tune it back up, check (in the playing position)...rinse and repeat. It may take a while (especially a floating trem setup) but you should be able to do this in one sitting. When I do full setups with floating trems on guitars I've never touched before it can take me 4-6 hours to be totally satisfied and done.

Some times it is a 'best of' situation when a neck doesn't respond evenly to trussing but most often that's not the case.

4 -6 hours, ouch. Thanks for the heads up. When I first checked the relief I used the string capoed at the first fret and held down past the 22nd fret. That gave me almost no relief at all. Your right about meaning nothing. I should have known better but frustration got me. Once I loosened the strings and adjusted the truss rod then put the strings back on it was better but I get you about meaning nothing without any tension.

Anyhow, it is more playable and I will play with teh setup until I am more happy. Might take me a while longer than 4-6 hours. We'll see.

Anyhow, it is more playable and I will play with teh setup until I am more happy. Might take me a while longer than 4-6 hours. We'll see.

It may or may not take that much time, I'm usually watching a movie or a football game while doing stuff like this ( :D ..football seasons over) and I take my time because the end result is I won't be doing it again on that guitar for quite a while.

So, take your time, be mindful, you'll get'r squared away. :D

Thanks, I will keep at it. I played it this afternoon and it was much b etter. I reckon a slight tweek of the truss rod, dropping the nut again, lowering the bridge slightly and resetting the pain-in-the-tail intonation on a floyd and it'll all be sweet.

Thanks for the help. Nice to see a little human kindness. I love this place.

Luke