Body Bleaching

cole

• 2 weeks later...

I used regular bleach mixed with hydrogen peroxide on lacewood it worked pretty good.

Its easier to buy stuff specifically designed for wood at the hardware store. That being said, When you bleach wood it loses most of its grain pattern and looks pretty bland IMO.

I used regular bleach mixed with hydrogen peroxide on lacewood it worked pretty good.

Its easier to buy stuff specifically designed for wood at the hardware store. That being said, When you bleach wood it loses most of its grain pattern and looks pretty bland IMO.

How do you lose the grain pattern all your doing is lightening the woodm the grain pattern is still there so whatever stain you use can penetrate and show better?

How do you lose the grain pattern all your doing is lightening the woodm the grain pattern is still there so whatever stain you use can penetrate and show better?

Well, bleaching gets rid of the contrast inherent in the wood. It shouldn't affect stain uptake too much, but it will affect the final look. Whether a wood reacts to it or not would depend on the wood, and on what you're trying to achieve, I should think...

• 2 weeks later...

Klean-Strip WB-19 is what I just used on my test Mahog.

I did (4) applications over each other progressivly and partially marking the test in small areas to confirm which was which. For me the third bleaching was the answer. The fourth was completely (I think) white then. Leaving it alone for a couple hours in a warm dry area was the timing on staining. I hit it with a few lacquers for a reference of what the final color might look like but wonder what others have done in similar situations.

Later,

Chris