Setup Question

I'm trying to setup my elec guitr for buzzless playing for recording (I want to add a miked electric sound to the pickup sound) and have been having some problems.

The tuning for the guitar is 1/2 step down (all strings) with "drop D" on the 6th string (so down to a Db)

Additively, I like to play aggressively.

I've put on some heavy guage strings (.012.......054) and the action is very high. It seems to help..to reduce the buzzing.. but there is still too much for my liking.

Is this do-able with a regular guitar (a low end Charvel), or would one really have to have a custom built instrument?

Any thoughts/comments?

-B

I was thinking heavy guage strings would actually help if I tuned down... that since they're thicker strings they would somehow have less of a "vibrational range"... no?

Sort of assuming that "the larger object is harder to move"...

I also remember someone telling me that a lower guage would help with the intonation problems that arise when tuning down..but now that I think of it, that doesn't have much to do with buzzing...

Er, smaller strings need less compensation, so that might be why, and yes, thicker strings make down-tuning easier because the tension stays higher. Ideally you should intonate the gutiar at the tuning you want, with the strings you want to use. OTOH, when you move the big fat strings a lot, you get big fat fret rattle.

Want to reduce fret rattle? Adjust your technique. Or live with crazy!high action.

to achieve a nice action there usually needs to be a slight amount of fretbuzz, it's natural, you shouldn't be hearing any at all through the amp tho

what exactly are you miking? you said miked electric as well as the pickup sound, to me they both mean you're simply miking the amp.. unless one is going line out but you'd get a better sound miking the amp usually

are you trying to mic the actual guitar strums etc acoustically??

yep. I'm adding the actual string sound to the amp sound. I like the high frequency/rhythmic content of the pick hitting the strings .... there's a lot of expressive dynamics there. I also like the feel of an acoustic guitar, so I'm actually quite alright with high action... of course I'm not much of a "shredder", & it suits my music. I actually read about this a few years ago....some group and producer trying this with good effect. I'm pleased with the outcome thus far.

Also..I realize this would only work live with a low stage volume....(cage the drummer in plexiglass :D

Maybe a very close range directional mic with a high pass filter added to the amped signal...? Trying to get back what pickups take away... I don't know ...maybe high end/expensive pickups are better?

So.. it might only work for recording..we'll see.

from what i've heard so far... I'm not a fan of under-the-saddle pickups(I've only tried acoustics). I've rented a couple of expensive acoustics and tested their pickups and they sounded "quacky" like nasal somehow... very distinctive. I guess I'm hoping these were just cheap pickups on expensive guitars. Does anyone know if these pickups can get close to transparent?

Or I guess that's why you suggest mixing the magnetic pickup sound with the piezo highs...somewhat masking?

I tune my Epi Les Paul Custom to drop-d. I don't think I would have ANY trouble tuning it down a half step. I use DR .011-.050 strings and counldn't be happier. You should be able to get decent action, but I'm sure that heavier guage strings would, to a point, require a higher action than lower gauge strings (larger oscillations -- not sure what the proper term for describing the size of the area that a vibrating string takes up).

I was more assuming that heavier gauge strings would oscillate less... Still I guess the diciding factor there is how much force is used to pick the strings.

I'm thinking that heavier gauge strings would definitely be more noticeable when they did smack against the frets though.

Primal, if you play your electric unplugged and play some thing with strong strumming.. does it then buzz?