Custom Bass Revisited

MzI

A while ago I made a custom neck thru bass that I designed. The build came out OK. There were balance problems with the neck being too heavy along with other things.

The First design

computer rendering

The Actual guitar

and now onto the new design

newcarvedbass.jpg

Im working on this for fun outside of my class work for my digital manufacturing class which is a grad level class at the architecture school I go to. My first step towards cutting guitars with the cnc will be to make a 59 Flying V. THat is just about ready to be cut sometime this coming week id assume. As for the bass. It will be a full carved top. The hard problem will be to model it in 3d computer programs. I will more then likely use autocad to create the basic 2d plan and some of the 3d stuff such as pickups and control cavity layout. And then for the carve and the rendering I will use Rhino 3d and export that into master cam to create the tool paths and then cut the guitar into foam to get an idea of how the design is. Next step will be to reverse engineer it and find anything I dont like about the design, fix it and then continue on with cutting it again until i am happy with the design and at that point I will then cut it out of wood.

Feel free to comment on the design and what not

MzI

all fixed

Edited by MzI

is that FLAMED purpleheart?!?!

Chris

Hehe...I've seen that, though. Bob Cefalu has a thick-ish few drop tops, 75 bucks/pop, might even have thicker stock awaiting resawing:

http://www.rctonewoods.rcefaluguitars.com/electric.htm

I'm in no way affiliated, but I get quite a bit of acoustic guitar wood from him. Great guy, great products.

Mz1: lookin' good, altohugh I don't really think the horns quite fit the smooth lines of the rest of the body. I'd like to see the line of the upper/lower horn follow or mirror the line of the lower bout curve a little better, and the lower horn de-bulked; there's too much mass there compared to the rest of the guitar, IMO.