Bizarre Buzzing

I recently had some seymor duncans installed in my LP copy and at the same time I had the guitar tech do a proper fret level and setup, to get the action right and sort intonation etc.... the original Idea was to buy a cheap LP copy and have the changes made so it played like a much more expensive instrument, which thankfully all worked out fine until I changed my A string this morning.....

Up until this morning when I broke my A-String the guitar played with a nice low action with absolutley no buzz. I thought considering that my guitar had already been setup by a pro it should just be a simple matter or replacing the string with one of the same guage and continue playing.

I was WRONG. Ive now replaced the string with one of the same guage and that string sounds aweful.

First of all I can definatley hear a buzzing sound Its hard to tell where its coming from to be honest but Iam pretty sure its coming from one of the saddles on the bridge. The string also sounds veyr metallic in comparison to the other strings which sound rather smooth.

Can anyone please explain why iam experiancing this awful buzzing, and maybe suggest how to remedy it?

Thanks Michael

My guess is that the string is bad. Is it an old one? Or is it the same type/brand as the other? I would be willing to bet that the string is either old, dead, or has a slight kink at the bridge end of it. Try getting another string of the same variety as the others. Also the string might be larger than the original you replaced and if so may be getting caught in the nut slot and not seating properly.

As a general rule of thumb when the buzz sounds like it is coming from the bridge it is usually at the nut, and vice-versa.

~David

Can anyone please explain why iam experiancing this awful buzzing, and maybe suggest how to remedy it?

Thanks Michael

Hard to tell without seeing the guitar.

You mention the bridge and you could be on the right track.

I have an Ibanez Edge bridge on one of my guitars that gives me some buzz on the low E saddle if the saddle if not properly aligned. Every so often, I have to give the saddle a nudge so it stops buzzing. Never seen this on my other guitars.

If that's your problem, a permanent fix could be to install a shim in there to tighten things up.\

:D

The string is pretty much new - its an unused ernie ball super slinky thats been sitting in the packet for a couple of months. I have been long curious about the sound of old strings versus new ones, ive twiddled it aroundin the saddle and this hasnt really helped unfortunatley.

As a word of note, I have a really cheap nasty tuneomatic bridge on my LP copy, would it be worth upgrading to a GOTOH model or something else maybe??

As I noticed the casting (Not CNC unfortunatley) on the bridge was poor...but of course ive never had problems in the past!!!!