Variable Coil Splitting?

Robert Irizarry

I was looking at the Kramer Delta Wing guitar and it incorporates a variable coil splitting feature where a potentiometer gradually splits the pickup. Not knowing anything about electronics (I'm trying to learn) does anyone know how this is done? It sounds like a very cool way to get a wide range of sounds.

Thanks,

Robert Irizarry

It's most likely done by placing a potentionmeter between the output of the first coil(which would act as the input on the pot) and the input of the second(which would act as the output on the pot). Obviously, there'd a ground signal to the other outer lug. This leaves the second coil fully functional while variably bleeding off the first coil's signal.

peace,

russ

Thanks Gents! That certainly points me in the right direction! I'd love hear sample sounds of this Kramer sporting its variable coil spliiters but their site is still coming together.

Looks like I found a solution afterall!

Here is wiring not only for variable coil splitting but a second solution that incorporates a push/pull pot so you can have your cake and eat it too - a regular tone knob in one position and a variable coil splitter in the other.

Here's the link: Variable Coil Splitting Solution

The site also contains other wiring diagrams as well.

Hmmm...nice link there Robert Irizarry...pitty it's in french...still, easy enough to follow the diagrams.

I will be using some pics from that site on pickup magnetic field shapes in the sustainer thread!!!

You seem to have a knack for finding the unusual and interesting sites...thankx... pete

P.S. Here's one for you...just about every pickup combination and wiring diagram and more...DGB Studio Site

With your broad interest in this type of thing, I suspect well be meeting up on the monster DIY Sustainer thread some time...lol

Hmmm...nice link there Robert Irizarry...pitty it's in french...still, easy enough to follow the diagrams.

I will be using some pics from that site on pickup magnetic field shapes in the sustainer thread!!!

You seem to have a knack for finding the unusual and interesting sites...thankx... pete

P.S. Here's one for you...just about every pickup combination and wiring diagram and more...DGB Studio Site

With your broad interest in this type of thing, I suspect well be meeting up on the monster DIY Sustainer thread some time...lol

If you scroll down a bit, you'll see that good portions of the site are in English - more than enough to get by. :D

Finding unusual sites is a specialty of mine. :D That's the windows engineer part of me. I've worked on and currently work on some rather complex systems where you need to have the ability to locate and piece bits of information from all over the place. I've become quite adept at using search engines to dig up information. If you ever have any requests, let me know. B)

And, thanks for the site link - excellent stuff! I'm new to the electronics side of things as well so I'll be chewing through this site for a while.

Oh and the sustainer thread sounds interesting too. Oh well. I guess I won't get any work done today...

I've become quite adept at using search engines to dig up information.

Now that's something that we could use a tutorial on - structuring search engine queries! One of our biggest problems with people not searching the archives around here is the fact that I'll wager 90% of our newer members couldn't find what they needed anyway! If you have the time and the inclination, your expertise would be highly valued!

Now that's something that we could use a tutorial on - structuring search engine queries! One of our biggest problems with people not searching the archives around here is the fact that I'll wager 90% of our newer members couldn't find what they needed anyway! If you have the time and the inclination, your expertise would be highly valued!

I would certainly consider putting together something once I get a better feel for the particulars of the forum's search engine. I'm pretty new to the mix here and each search engine has its nuances. I'll play around and see what I can come up with - like being aware of the flood control feature. :D

That sounds the same as the VCC on washburn guitars (like my WI66Pro)

Cool! How does it work for you? Do you find that it gives you some useable sounds? Does it only work on a particular humbucker (neck or bridge)?

Well to be honest I don't use it a whole lot, you can get some nice sweeping sounds going from the single coil thin sound to the humbucker sound.

The pickups in the WI66Pro give me a nice range of tones for old classic rock.. which is what I bought it for. I don't have much use for playing in split mode. It's just like the tone control.. but a little different, there's not alot to say.. imagine single coil sound, and humbucker sound.. and the ability to use a control to go from one to the other.. very much the same way you can go from a fat sound to a thin sound with the tone control.

Well to be honest I don't use it a whole lot, you can get some nice sweeping sounds going from the single coil thin sound to the humbucker sound.

The pickups in the WI66Pro give me a nice range of tones for old classic rock.. which is what I bought it for. I don't have much use for playing in split mode. It's just like the tone control.. but a little different, there's not alot to say.. imagine single coil sound, and humbucker sound.. and the ability to use a control to go from one to the other.. very much the same way you can go from a fat sound to a thin sound with the tone control.

Thanks for the input. This won't be on my first project guitar but probably a second. (I can't believe I just "committed" to that. I still have to start the first. :D )

Thanks for the input. This won't be on my first project guitar but probably a second. (I can't believe I just "committed" to that.

Ohhh...now you done it...not only committed yourself to one, but at least two project guitars... :D

Well, having followed your previous posts, I for one will be following with great interest.

I think you know how to proceed...I'd be making up a wish list...making a few sketches and mock up some body shapes (perhaps attached to your headless wonder). Maybe look around for a neck...I'd be a little reticent on going headless for the first one at least...a good bolt on neck that you can recycle is probably the go (those rear tuner bridges can be expensive and restrict your designs in many ways)...

As far as electronics go, the sky's the limit. Wiring options are limitless, but with coil splitting you are loosing the hambucking effect and creating a low powered single coil not really designed for the purpose, and a drop in volume. It is a worthwhile experiment and I have coil splits on my Les Paul but they are most effective with both pickups on. Phase switching is an interesting sound, again in combination particularly.

But, given your minimalist functional approach and aesthetic, a lot can be done with a simple straight ahead guitar.

If you have an interest in the sustainer project, the ideal guitar is a single pickup guitar with a neck mounted sustainer and two switches (on and harmonic functions) and I suspect this may be of real interest to you. If this, or indeed active electronics (which would provide even more flexability than things like coil splitting) may be of future interest...make sure you leave room for easy battery access and extra circuitry.

Also, in regards to super slim ideas and such, remember to allow for the depth of hardware. Pickups themselves can go quite deep into a body, and certainly trems require a typical body depth to install.

As for pickguards...they are very practical for covering wiring and accessing it and if something doesn't work out can be replaced easily. A couple of holes drilled into a guitar top that you later regret are not so easy to remove or relocate if drilled directly into the top...

Anyway...you have made your commitment/s now...so there is no going back. Post up some designs in the appropriate place and well all donate 2c of advice...soon you'll be drowning in a wealth of opinion and advice...that small change can really add up!!! But don't take any bent nickles to heart... pete