Who Makes The Best Replacement Necks?

Bozman

I need help choosing necks for two projects that I am currently working on. I have the bodies for both and would like to get your opinions on suitable necks. More specifically, whether to go with a Fender neck or get a replacement from one of the licensed companies. For my last project, I used a Mighty Mite neck (Strat - Rosewood board); I was impressed especially in terms of value for money. Which company makes the best ones in terms of playability and finish. I have noticed that Guitar Parts Resource has Allparts necks at resonable prices, but it appears to me that they have applied the finish themselves (I'm not sure of their quality). If I bought an unfinished neck is there an easy way to apply a finish, i.e. rubbing rather than spraying nitro? What about the nut - are they easy to install?

Guitar #1. WD Tele body, flame cherry burst. This will be a clean, mordern style - like an American Deluxe. Neck style will be 22 fret, maple board (no vintage tint).

Guitar #2. Mighty Mite body, quilt tobacco burst. Vintage style strat. Neck will be 21 fret (no overhang), vintage tint, maple, rosewood or ebony.

Who do you recommend - what would you use?

Thanks for your help and advice!

i use two sources most of the time. allparts for my bolt together or mid-range customs and usa custom guitar parts for upper end stuff. with usa you can get just about any combination of nect profile, radius, wood, headstock and finish. with allparts you get quite a few options but certainly not as much as usa. from allparts i generally order their unfinished paddlehead necks, cut my own headstock design and finish them with an oil finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I will put this in order of quality aftermarket necks from best and less...

Warmoth, USACG - these guys both make high quality parts

Allparts

WD

Mighty Mite

Allparts

WD

Mighty Mite

That's very helpful. I was wondering if you have any experience with composite necks like Moses Graphite...

Allparts

WD

Mighty Mite

That's very helpful. I was wondering if you have any experience with composite necks like Moses Graphite...

We would try one of their necks if they made a paddle head version.

If you don't want to hassle with your own fretwork, USA Custom beats all the others by a long shot.

I was having a look at the site for them....it seems as though they cater more to the "vintage" side of things.Since I play metal and enjoy weird body shapes,and things like a thinner neck(not thin like those "wizard" designs),and sharkfin inlays for example,I am thinking that Warmoth seems to have more options.But many have said that these guys make a better neck/body than Warmoth.Why could this be? It would appear that they are also CNC machined,for the most part.The prices look similiar.If I was a typical "blues strat" player I think it could be my cup o' tea,but I am not.And nothing against those who are,but it seems as though they lean more towards that end.Maybe I am missing something though...gonna dig around on the site some more....

If you don't want to hassle with your own fretwork, USA Custom beats all the others by a long shot.

I was having a look at the site for them....it seems as though they cater more to the "vintage" side of things.Since I play metal and enjoy weird body shapes,and things like a thinner neck(not thin like those "wizard" designs),and sharkfin inlays for example,I am thinking that Warmoth seems to have more options.But many have said that these guys make a better neck/body than Warmoth.Why could this be? It would appear that they are also CNC machined,for the most part.The prices look similiar.If I was a typical "blues strat" player I think it could be my cup o' tea,but I am not.And nothing against those who are,but it seems as though they lean more towards that end.Maybe I am missing something though...gonna dig around on the site some more....

You really can't go wrong with Warmoth, to be honest.

I ordered a neck from USA Custom a few weeks ago. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't speak about the quality, but they're the easiest people to talk to and if you want them to do anything special, it's pretty easy to get it done. I called in for a neck for a tele project I'm building and specified a a 24 3/4 conversion neck and asked for it to be shaped like a Peavey Wolfgang. The guy on the phone actually quoted the appropriate thickness and neck carve from memory. As far as I know you can't get an asymmetrical neck carve on a Warmoth conversion neck, just on their standard scale necks.

From what I understand if USA can't do something (like scalloping) they'll actually refer you to Warmoth so there's no harm in giving them a call and telling them exactly what you want. The options you have are a lot more wide open than what Warmoth will give you.