Intonation Delemma

Yeah, really...you have to give more information than that...the answers depends on a lot of factors, like type of guitar, type of bridge, etc.

But especially--when's the last time you changed your strings?

I put new strings on, always .011 guage. Streched them out a bit. It is a '76 Fender Strat. Standard bridge.

Yeah, really...you have to give more information than that...the answers depends on a lot of factors, like type of guitar, type of bridge, etc.

I put new strings on, always .011 guage. Streched them out a bit. It is a '76 Fender Strat. Standard bridge.

k.. quadriple posts.. :D

Hm.. When you say "put it as tight as I can" do you mean that the screw is Completely In? or Almost at the point of losing the saddle?

Cus.. if your intonation's sharp.. you should loosen it...

Generally speaking your lowE should be the tightest (screw is most completely in)

...................---

........---....---

....---....---

---

(Righthand guitar.. i have to put periods there cuz this post ignores spaces..)

Obviously it's not to scale, but that's how generally the shape of your saddles in most guitars

(left is lowE right is high e)

-IR

Edited by redwhiteandthemaple

So you've had the guitar for a while and this is a new problem? Or have you always had problems intonating it?

I don't know too much about intonating strats (other than that it's a pain in the butt), but maybe the bridge is riding up too high?

I suppose with a guitar that old, the frets could be worn out, that could give intonation problems too.

If there's a spring behind the saddle, you could remove that, it might get you a bit more play. You could also see about replacing that saddle with one that's slightly shorter in overall length, allowing the point where the string cuts off over the saddle to be moved farther back. (I don't know if this is doable, I usually use TOMs, but is seems different strat saddles are longer than others?) Perhaps you could make something yourself? I'd imagine something tele-ish in design wouldn't be too difficult to make with the appropriate taps. Might look a little kludged together next to 5 other standard saddles, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

So you've had the guitar for a while and this is a new problem? Or have you always had problems intonating it?

I don't know too much about intonating strats (other than that it's a pain in the butt), but maybe the bridge is riding up too high?

I suppose with a guitar that old, the frets could be worn out, that could give intonation problems too.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking too. If the bridge is lower to the body it'll give you more saddle room.

And if it's been played and not refretted for a while I'm sure the fret tops are worn, and haning crowned frets is crucial for intonation.

• 2 weeks later...