Looking For Wood

hellcat

I have decided I am going to attempt to build a guitar and am looking for wood. I have thought about this for a while now(over a year) and since I now run a cnc machine at work, I figured this would be a great time. I will be looking to emulate my prs body style, and will be staining it so a nice top is a must. I should probably do it in 2 layers to get a nice top so if you have anything let me know. Also, maybe we can work something out if you have several pieces and are looking to get something cut yourself, with the cnc machine I can bang it out in a couple of hours.

Very true, I'm used to posting on forums that are local to me. I am in Massachusetts(united States for all that don't know). I am not looking for anything in particular, just wood, people have already sent me messages with what they have. What i meant by a "nice top" was a nice looking top. I am going to be staining this so maybe something like a flamed or quilted maple. Anyways I am all set now, thanks anyway

Hellcat,

Try the supplies section of the PG site. http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/supply.htm

I have found lots of the wood I have via. eBay.

Two places I have gotten nice stuff from are:

BellForestProducts.com - Birdseye and Flame Maple, Bubinga, other exotics.

They sell both via. the website and on eBay.

VedderMountainHardwoods.com - Flame, Quilted and Spalted Maple. Lots of bookmatched top sets.

Again, web or eBay.

You are both lucky and cursed looking for wood in a 21st century world.

When I got interested in luthier work in the 70's, you couldn't find a place to get the woods, now you can't figure a way to decide which is the best / cheapest way to go out of about a gazillion options.

Good Luck,

d ward

I totally agree on that, there are so many options on ebay that I just can't decide what to get, not to mention other online vendors. Once I do get it all set up I should have it carved out in no time with my cnc machine, still deciding on whether I should buy a neck or make one myself. Any input?

I'm a little hardcore on building everything myself.

Probably a couple ways to look at it.

Consentrate on learning how to build the body, install the components and do the finish work and use a pre-made neck.

Then tackle the neck on the next one.

Or try to learn the entire process on the first one.

Depends on how dedicated you are, how patient, what access to tools etc.

The neck making process is much more involved, but by no means impossible.

Good Luck,

d ward