Calling All Decal Guys!

Ok, for the pink floyd tribute strat ive got going for me i was wondering how i should go about the characters. I have a clearcoat over the base coats, and I was just wondering if i wanted to go about doing decals, a) what should i get kinkos to print them out as, and :D where can i find a high quality picture of the pink floyd characters. Ive got a pretty good scanner, so im thinking about scanning the logos from the actual album cover at a very high quality and taking the files to kinkos to get them printed out. ANY suggestions at all as to how to go about doing this would be much appreciated, im sorta in the dark on this one.

Ok, for the pink floyd tribute strat ive got going for me i was wondering how i should go about the characters. I have a clearcoat over the base coats, and I was just wondering if i wanted to go about doing decals, a) what should i get kinkos to print them out as, and :D where can i find a high quality picture of the pink floyd characters. Ive got a pretty good scanner, so im thinking about scanning the logos from the actual album cover at a very high quality and taking the files to kinkos to get them printed out. ANY suggestions at all as to how to go about doing this would be much appreciated, im sorta in the dark on this one.

don't know if this will help you or not but you can buy decal paper for your inkjet printer. it comes in white background or clear and is the same size as copy paper. you can scan your pics and print your own. just google inkjet decal paper for suppliers.

don't know if this will help you or not but you can buy decal paper for your inkjet printer. it comes in white background or clear and is the same size as copy paper. you can scan your pics and print your own. just google inkjet decal paper for suppliers.

I looked into that because I a am planing on doing something similar to Ledzendrix1128. It sounds like it will work for me but, it says that the film is a laquer based product. Will this cause any problems with the polyurathane that Im going to put on after it?

Or is it too little laquer to make a diffrence?

Edited by Muddd

I looked into that because I a am planing on doing something similar to Ledzendrix1128. It sounds like it will work for me but, it says that the film is a laquer based product. Will this cause any problems with the polyurathane that Im going to put on after it?

Or is it too little laquer to make a diffrence?

i use it on the lap steels that i make and i finish them with rattle can poly and have never had a problem of any kind so i'd say that you're good to go.

Ok, I found a site where i think im gonna order these papers from, and I read this at the bottom of the page.

"NOTE: Due to shipping regulations, we are unable to ship Krylon acrylic spray with our Inkjet decal paper. You can buy this locally. It is available at Loews, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Walmart, etc. Any acrylic clear coat spray will work. Note that the laser/color copier paper does not require application of the spray."

http://www.decalpaper.com/inkjet.html

It recommends using acryllic laquer, I'm not really sure if this is because they have a thing for kylon or not. I have polyurethane **EDIT - didnt mean to say laquer here** sealing the base coat now. Would I be better off clearing over the decals with the krylon it says to use, or should I stick with the polyurethane that I already have laid down?

Thanks again,

- Louis

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

Stick with the polyurethane.

Good luck getting Kinkos to print that stuff for you. They are pretty picky about not touching any copyrighted or trademarked material (for legal reasons).

yeah, ive got a pretty decent printer here. I think im gonna try out this waterslide decal paper with my printer. I want it to look nice, so if it turns out a little bit off then ill look around for another solution i supopse

thanks again,

Louis

I've gone so far as you get a few sheets of Avery clear sticker label papers (each label looks kinda like a piece of the "invisible" Scotch tape), and did my own graphic lettering, in Micrsoft Word. Printed it out off a laser printer, trimmed the excess, placed it, and shot several coats of clear over it. Didn't come out too bad, and I never finished the top finish, either. Sure it would look even better, if I did. Maybe, someday...