Mahogany Staining

Hi... First post - I was wondering if anyone could advise on filler and tips on bleaching mahogany, then staining it trans. purple. I've got a test board with twelve different ways of bleaching and staining combinations. I'm not sure as to what kind of filler to use. The Re-Ranch seems to have the best explanations and items needed to do 90% of the job. I think I'd use a maroon colored filler (guessing) as I've not done this before. It's for my daughter. I like all the Gibson reds. but especially the wine color on SGs.

Any advice on the entire procedure, or experiences on same would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Chris

I try to bleach and stain mahogany and my results "told" me that it is better to bleach and use a translucent coat than stain.

I see by your name that you've been at this a while.. I was really wanting to stain this thing as mahog is one of my faforite woods anyway. What is it that would make you use painjt (I think you mean paint) rather than stain? Or do you mean add the stain ( a waterbase) to the lacquer? I just got done working a strip about 4' long with the stain at 4 progressive bleaches and staining these with three types of application for the variations. I thought it looked good applied to the alder and would send an image but don't know how yet with the above image button at a url. Could you tell me what might happen or show me an example of why not to use stain and explain further about what you might apply instead? I was just getting ready to bleach a larger area to then try using the black stain filler for the grain but think that with mahogany it would turn mostly black. I've seen interesting results with other woods but not with mahog.

Thanks for the time and advice Maiden!

Best regards,

Chris

I got no pics here since they are all in my house in the USA, but the mahogany didn't want to takle the stain evenly, some places it will look a bit darker than the rest. Look at http://www.carvin.com/products/gisList.php?CID=SB&Hand=R they place some nice painted mahogany bodies there. Is like you mentioned above, tinted laquer.

BTW, the name means nothing here! Is just that I give off my free time to help the Admins maintain the site "clean" there are a lot of people here with vast experience. If you want to know from who to take advise I suggest you look at the persons profile and check the "works" they have done.

Good luck

Aren't there some products that are supposed to help even out the way wood absorbs stain and dye?

Yes - of what though... the bleachvariations uwsing household (not recommended) which is uneven and not very strong for such an application I.M.O. the four bleachings on top of each other the purple stain on these different bleachings or the Alder body I did purple?

I now am going to do the other side of this board (already bleached) and try the epoxy putty to see what happens to the grain, seal it up, sand it down and stain it. I'm not sure how it would look mixing the purple with the lacquer to shoot though... anyway, I wanted to post but didn't know how. The url part is what I didn't understand. How to enter a url?

Chris