First Project - Les Paul + Tele Love Child

I like the plain crescent f-holes a lot more too. Since this design is more of a modern classic, I don't think that classic styled f-holes would fit well with it. But the crescents just make it flow better and appear much more pleasing to the eye in my opinion. I'm excited to see this take shape.

Thanks to all for the feedback on the crescents vs. the classic F-hole. I'm a bit risk averse so the nudging I'm getting to think outside the hole is really helpful. my latest twist on the f-hole is listed on another reply. it uses slats to suggest the f-hole. cool but classic.

I will definitely look again at the crescents and see what they have to say.

-- cj

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for the original slits. The design strikes me as more contemporary than retro and I think the slits would fit it better. The f-holes just strike me as a bit out of place - not to say that you can't get the right look going. Short of going for one extreme look vs. another, I think you have some room to play. Nice job regardless!

humbuckr, I've used split buckers before, and they get a passable single coil sound, but you'll be missing most of the sparkle of a strat (IMHO). A single in the middle would give you this, plus the in between sounds would be more "quacky". You could set it up so you can combine the middle single with either the neck or bridge humbucker, or a single coil in one of those positions.

Well, why not break out of the box altogether? Forget the f ...to me your outhouse imagery called up something much cooler....how about a couple of your cat's eyes --in parallel on the upper bout? wouldn't be too difficult to do, it'll be different enough.

Of course, then you might end up changing the body design (if you ask me, I find it kind of generic, looks like your standard single cutaway is you ask me).

I say go for the cat's eyes --and let them lead you toward a more individual body design....

A single in the middle would give you this, plus the in between sounds would be more "quacky". You could set it up so you can combine the middle single with either the neck or bridge humbucker, or a single coil in one of those positions.

You know I just might take your advice on this one. I've been taking my mother-in-law's advice for the last 3 weeks on everything from how to hold our new babies to how to open and close doors, how to walk, hold my fork, .............................................................. :D

I'm using a cheap-o piece of birdseye maple so I have no problem with knocking another hole into it.

Any suggestions for the single coil pu?

Any suggestions for the single coil pu?

I'm using Duncan '59 humbuckers w/ an SSL-2 Vintage Flat single in the middle. They balance pretty well.

The middle + neck outside coil sounds very strat-like. The middle + bridge outside coil is not quite as authentic, probably because the bridge p/u isn't slanted. But it's a nice sound and it's in the ballpark.

If you use a reverse-wound/reverse polarity middle p/u you'll get the humbucking benefit when combined with the outer coils.

I guess I'm too traditional. Something about the position, not the shape, of the cateyes doesn't look right. They're too peripheral. If you blacken them in and set the guitar against a dark background, they lop off those nice curves on lower bout.

I like the position you had on the segmented f-hole. You could do a variation on an f-hole with two holes with a diamond in between. Cateye with hole off one end?

build your original design, and use all the other ideas for you second, third, forth etc........

amen to that brother! I am so totally hooked on this guitar business. there will be many more but I am going for broke (literally) on this one.

the kids are doing great although they HATE bath time. the big dude cried for 4 hours straight. I am going to need active pickups to get enough volume to drown out the crying :D

-cj

Babies? Plural?...oh man...well, you should have some free time for guitar-building in oh, about five or six years. :D

As for the mother-in-law thing, get her out of your house as soon as you can. Those are your kids, you have the right to make your own mistakes. Don't let your wife (gf) tell you how to be with your kids either. Seriously.

And yeah, it's your guitar too --make the guitar that you want, don't settle for compromises, otherwise it takes out a lot of the fun (and energy) in building.

P.S. Why cover up perfectly good wood with a pickgauard?

It's not covering up anything --it's enhancing the design. It's just wood, nothing holy about wood. This kind of guitar without a pickguard looks silly if you ask me--like the builder forgot something.

Besides, scratchess in the finish kind of tend to cover up the wood too, after a while. And judging from the scratches I've put into my pickguards, it's a good thing they're there!

Mothers-in-law are fun, eh? There's no winning there. Just surrender and you'll save yourself years of trouble. :D If you can get your mother-in-law on your side, it can make things quite a bit easier. I've learned to bite my tongue since I've gotten married. Of course, not at first. What a mistake. :D

It's not covering up anything --it's enhancing the design. It's just wood, nothing holy about wood. This kind of guitar without a pickguard looks silly if you ask me--like the builder forgot something.

Besides, scratchess in the finish kind of tend to cover up the wood too, after a while. And judging from the scratches I've put into my pickguards, it's a good thing they're there!

Ha! just trying to rile you up there Mickguard.

I dig the segmented f-hole concept. I think it might need a little refining from what you posted, but I think it could be very cool.

thanks. I'm leaning towards the segments this am. curious what you would do, less space between the slots? fatter segments? I'll fool around a bit. I think the slots look like gills. I think I have a 'shark' guitar in my future.

I have to agree that pickguards are part of the design. looks like the guitar forgot to put on shoes without one. Anyone ever used a glass pickguard. a friend of mine is a glass blower, wouldn't a custom color/design glass pickguard rock?