Staining Tips

mr.b

hi. i'm new here and i'm looking for some advice. i am buildig a custom JPM. Have ordered an alder body with flamed maple top which i plan to stain on the picasso graphics. my concern is will there be any stain bleeding when i mask off the graphics then stain the darker wood colour?

any advice greatly appreciated.

B. :D

Yes, you will probably experience some bleed, depending on how much stain you use and how well you mask it off. Applying a sealer like shellac over the stained-on graphics could help, but you'd have to be careful not to let the shellac bleed onto the area you want to stain darker. It might take some practice to get a good clean edge. Try it out on scrap first.

Yes, you will probably experience some bleed, depending on how much stain you use and how well you mask it off. Applying a sealer like shellac over the stained-on graphics could help, but you'd have to be careful not to let the shellac bleed onto the area you want to stain darker. It might take some practice to get a good clean edge. Try it out on scrap first.

thanks for those tips. i am concerened as to whether i will get bleed marks whilst it soaks through the maple cap???

It can bleed through if you really saturate it with stain.

I'd try using some high tack pinstriping tape (1/8" 3M green seems to work pretty well) to mask the edges of your graphics. Rub it down hard to a get a good seal.

You might try doing the dark stain first... mask off the graphics, stain the body, seal it, then unmask and stain your graphics. If get a little bleed you can usually scrape it off with a razor blade, as long as it hasn't soaked in too deep. Anyway, try it on scrap to see what method works for you.

Mike