Mark1178

Well my first post. And my start at building a guitar. Im not building it from new parts, I have a cheapo Flying V copy that I never use that I will cut up and glue some maple or ash to, cut to shape, refinish and cut a custom pickguard, etc...

My problem is, I will be using the holes for a tune-omatic bridge and stopbar tailpiece, Im planning on buying this Stewmac Knob and Busing puller to remove the old bushings. Will I have to add some glue into the old holes to hold the new bushings in? Its my first REAL step into building a guitar. Would just buy a blank body from Warmoth but I love the action of the neck on this Vantage V I bought for 50 bucks.

Thanks for any suggestions/answers

Well my first post. And my start at building a guitar. Im not building it from new parts, I have a cheapo Flying V copy that I never use that I will cut up and glue some maple or ash to, cut to shape, refinish and cut a custom pickguard, etc...

My problem is, I will be using the holes for a tune-omatic bridge and stopbar tailpiece, Im planning on buying this Stewmac Knob and Busing puller to remove the old bushings. Will I have to add some glue into the old holes to hold the new bushings in? Its my first REAL step into building a guitar. Would just buy a blank body from Warmoth but I love the action of the neck on this Vantage V I bought for 50 bucks.

Thanks for any suggestions/answers

Nah, don't buy that if you are just planning to pull the bushings out. Why even pull them if the new tail piece fits/aligns tih them? If you have to pull them, just find a bolt at the hardware store and screw it into the bushing. Then lay a thin scrap of wood under a claw hammer against the body, and GENTLY lift it right out. Worked great for me. The new bushing (provided they are the same) should be carefully tapped back into place.

I put a piece of leather with a hole in it (big enough to clear the bushing) on the face of the guitar to protect the finish, then put an old socket wrench socket over the bushing. Find a bolt that threads into the bushing, and large washer. Put the bolt through the washer and socket, and screw it into the bushing. Keep turning it, it holds against the socket/washer combo so it can't go down - so the bushing comes up. Pulls it right out, and straight up, as well. Basically the same principle as the stew mac thing.