Bass Defretting Method

I'm going to defret my jazz bass knockoff and i was wondering which one of these methods you think would be better.

http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/

or

http://users.skynet.be/sky88241/defretting_site/page1.htm

Basically either using hardwood slats or using wood filler (im not sure that i would follow either of those exactly). The slats would be harder to do because i would have to sand each of them to get the right neck radius, but it might have some advantages. What do you guys think? have any of you defretted one and which method did you use?

the geo cities site wouldn't come up for me but the other did..i didn't read the whole thing but i personally wouldn't feel real comfortable removing the frets with a hammer and chisel. too many chances for screwing up your fret board. get yourself some flat jawed plyers. and i don't think i'd use wood putty either. my experience with them is that they're brittle and i'm afraid that the first time you had to adjust your truss rod it would crack and fall out.

if you buy some veneer in a color you like...either close to the board or completely contrasting..it's really not that hard to match the radius. trim them close to the fretboard with a single edged razor blade or an xacto knife and then wrap some fine grit sandpaper around a small flat block and then carefully sand the veneer even with the fretboard. at least that's how i'd do it without a radius block.

I would go with the first method, only don't use a small screwdriver, just use the end nip plyers (whatever they are called). The screwdriver is just asking for gouges, imo. Then, use veneer to fill the gaps. There is absolutely no need to use as big pieces as the ones on that site.

Definitely the first link, the second one will screw up your bass big time.

Use a 30 watt soldering iron. It's not really explained in the first link but what you need to do is stroke your fret (going up and down) to warm it. Once you feel it get warm and start smelling the wood burning (a few seconds) then it's time to pull your fret out with end nippers by squeezing gently under the fret. DO NOT pull out the fret once you gripped it. Just let the nipper squeeze it out by squeezing it in different places in the length of it ( the fret, that is)

What the soldering iron does is melt whatever glue that might have been used to put the frets it and lightly burns the wood of the fretboard which helps prevent chipping of your fb when you pull out those frets. If you see any chips come out, glue them back in right away before you go on.

Definitely the first link, the second one will screw up your bass big time.

Use a 30 watt soldering iron. It's not really explained in the first link but what you need to do is stroke your fret (going up and down) to warm it. Once you feel it get warm and start smelling the wood burning (a few seconds) then it's time to pull your fret out with end nippers by squeezing gently under the fret. DO NOT pull out the fret once you gripped it. Just let the nipper squeeze it out by squeezing it in different places in the length of it ( the fret, that is)

What the soldering iron does is melt whatever glue that might have been used to put the frets it and lightly burns the wood of the fretboard which helps prevent chipping of your fb when you pull out those frets. If you see any chips come out, glue them back in right away before you go on.

Yeah i Was already going to do that, but i was concerned about which way to fill in the frets. I think i'll go with the veneers. thanks guys.

I could barely make myself look at the pictures on the 2nd site.

That was some scary sh*t!

Yeah … some of those pictures on the second page look like a great way to screw up a neck, a chisel, and possibly your leg . . .

• 3 months later...

Any veneer will work, as long as it doesn't have any adhesive on it. Try Rockler.com.

Veneer is pretty easy to use. It is also pretty easy to get out if you decide to put frets back into you bass. Don't worry about the camber, you are only sanding the veneer down to the surface of the fingerboard that si already there. Sand ALONG the board until the inlays are flush and then use lighter grade paper to finish the board off.

It is not difficult.

Do no, ever, use chisels and screwdrivers to get frets out. Spend the extra on a proper pair of end nippers as that is cheaper than replacing your fingerboard.

I have seen some really bad fret jobs. Please don't do another. It is cheaper to get the tools and do it properly.

If you're ordering anything from them, LMI also has a nice selection of veneers, both in different wood types, and a bunch of interesting dyed ones. (Blue fret lines? Sure!)

I also third (or fourth?) the "buy a fret puller" opinion.

Heating the fret wire with a soldering iron, as mentioned, also really helps to get them out. It's surprising.