Truss Rod Covers ? Beginner Questions.

odlaw

Hi,

I Want to inlay a cover for my 2001 314 taylor. Should I make a cover from scratch or are there

blanks available somewhere.

I did ask earlier about existing neck inlaying but decided to start with the covers first.

If I have to make, what type of would is suggested, thickness etc.

Do I stain before or after the inlay.

Clearcoat or not?

I am open to recommendations for any suppliers for materials

in the U.S.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by odlaw

I have little inlay experience, I'm sure someone more versed than I will chime in, but for what it's worth -

I would pick up an ebony headplate from LMI, under 10 dollars, and you can probably get several truss rod covers out of one. (Although looking at LMI's page, it seems they're out of stock of all but the second grade) It's not too difficult to cut out a truss rod cover with a small saw and some files to add a bevel. You could sand it down a bit thinner if you need, after it's cut out, and they look nice with a contrasting veneer laminated to the back.

Ebony is nice because you probably won't have to stain it, and something with a relatively consistent color makes it easier to hide hairline gaps/glue lines in your inlay with filler (epoxy and wood dust). I would imagine that since you don't clear-coat an ebony fingerboard with inlays, you wouldn't have to worry about clearcoating this, although something might be nice to bring out the most shine in the wood.

LMI also has a variety of woods for sale as headplates - I've done inlay in their Madagascar Rosewood and Cocobolo with good results as an unexperienced inlayer.

I will add that if you are going to use a headstock veneer as sugguested mark a line where the piece will be cut then inlay inside that before cutting. This will allow you to redraw the shape with the inlay centered if the inlay did not come out exactly where you wanted.

Measure and drill your two screw holes, but don't cut the cover out yet. The screw holes will allow you to line up your inlay on the cover. Then route the hole for the inlay. Now cut the cover out. Glue your inlay piece(s) into the wood and sand flat.

I personally recommend clear coating, mainly because it brings out the color of the shell. Especially Paua which looks great clear coated.

I have had a problem getting ebony from any of my normal supplies lately. I normally get head plates from LMI as suggested above (good suggestion by the way). However, everyone seems to be out of it. As a last resort I bought and entire board and had it sawn to headplate size. It was pretty wet wood so I had to dry it out myself. A real pain in the . . . But, you got to do what you got to do.

Making t-covers is a real fun way to start. That is actually how I started years ago. T-covers are quick, easy and if you mess it up and have to start over, no big deal. You waste only about $10 or less worth of material. Go for it, it can be a real blast.

Here is one of my covers.

dragonstrike03.jpg

Edited by cSuttle

Great info. I just ordered some ebony headplate. Now can someone guide me to reputable place for the inlay materials in the US (east coast is better). I am also in the market for a good jewlers saw and some proper routing bits for a dremel tool.

Thanks again

Dave

Well, this isn't on the East Coast, but check out www.RescuePearl.com. Prices are fair and great people to work with. Stewmac and places like that offer saws and bits. I would turn you on to my suppliers, but they have minimum order amounts that would be more than you need.

Edited by cSuttle

Just received my materials from Stew Mac and rescue pearl. Still awaiting on the ebony head plates from colonial tonewoods.

Watched the Larry robinson DVD part 1 and enjoyed it.

The MOP from rescue pearl is real nice and at a great price considering I only ordered an ounce and delivery was real fast for standard delivery. Great people at rescue pearl.

I also ordered 1 ounce of red abalone from Stew Mac and it is so so but I obviously am no expert. Small pieces with voids. I expected more for the price and am a bit dissapointed.

I better get started on my designs.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave