Blotchy Cherry

jch4v

I am making a les paul copy with a cherry top. I want to rub tung oil into the top and wax it a bit after it dries. Once I rub the tung oil on (a scrap piece of cherry), it comes out looking sort of blotchy. What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks!

J

I am making a les paul copy with a cherry top. I want to rub tung oil into the top and wax it a bit after it dries. Once I rub the tung oil on (a scrap piece of cherry), it comes out looking sort of blotchy. What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks!

J

when you say "blotchy" do you mean that it looks dryer in spots or just a different color? if it looks that way after only one coat that's pretty normal. the density of the wood is different in different spots so the oil soaks in more in some places than in others. put about three coats on following the directions and see if it doesn't even up after that.

I'm building the wings of my guitar out of cherry but I'm not to the finishing stage yet. What little I've read about finishing cherry blotching seems to come up in every article so surly there are techniques to prevent blotching. Do you have any pics? I'm planing to use tru oil but I'm not dead set on it.