Cnc Mill Work

MzI

I ran the path today. It came out ok. It almost screwed up but I happened to catch it before any damage was caused. At that point I shut down the path, went back into mastercam and setup the profile cut. Not quite sure why it wanted to pickup and drop into the table but whatever.

Pictures

DSCN2012.jpg

links

Tomorrow afternoon Im going for the 59 Korina V's

MzI

PS For some reason photobucket resized my images a bit small Ill try and fix em

Edited by MzI

Doing that by hand, hmm that might be tough as Ive never actually done a carved top outside of a couple bevels on one guitar. I do do tummy cuts on the back of guitars which are actually quite fun if I do say so myself and of course neck carving. I think the hardest part would be trying to create the shelf and be consistent with it. The points are part of that metal side I have, though ill say that with a natural finish its not too over the top, but id assume, with a matte black finish itd be rather METAL and dangerous.

MzI

Edited by MzI

Man, what school do you go to that just lets you rock out with the CNC for personal projects? I wanted to try and do something and one guy that I'm friends with that works in the department that has our CNCs (our engineering school) said "They're not gunna let you do it. Period." And I still tok my chance and asked and the guy said, "Yeah, you can do it, for $75 per hour for any work that you put into it." And the original guy said "Yeah, that's his way of saying 'You can't do it'. For he think the $75/hour charge will deter you." Which it did hahaha.

Chris

Wow, nice!

I wish I had access to a CNC.

Roger Williams University. Its part of the architecture school. I am actually taking a class called Digital Manufacturing which is a grad class even though im an undergrad, I needed another architecture elective to graduate. We have pretty much free reign over the machine. We actually were using it the second week of class which was amazing. And now we can use it for whatever we choose at no cost. And now its getting to the point that are class supplies are being paid for by the school and they want to expand the class significantly. As of July 1 we are getting a laser cutter. Only problem is I graduate end of May this year, but I talked to my professor and he said to come back and use either whenever I feel like it. Ill prolly end up doing that this summer, get a bunch of guitars drawn in cad and in rhino, make up some body blanks, head down for the weekend and come out with 5 or 6 bodies and not have to pay a thing to use the machine. As of right now I am seriously considering getting one of the smaller cnc machines for myself. I priced them out and they run around 11k which isnt too bad in that I can cut out a body in less then 5 minutes.

Pics to come shortly of progress from today.

MzI

Ok here are pictures of my progress from earlier today. This project I have been working on since before I even found this site so somewhere in the range of 3 to 4 years.

DSCN2019.gif

Gibson 1959 Korina Flying V, this by far in my opinion is the ultimate guitar and I am finally getting around to make one. I have had the wood for this set of guitar sitting in my basement for the last year or so. I had been searching for a good source of White Korina and finally found it for a resonable price on ebay. I ended up getting enough to make three set neck guitar bodies. I'll hafta get a few neck blanks to complete these projects this summer but I can finally say im on track with this build. I think for the fretboard on the first one I may use the cocobolo fretboard i recently acquired. Anyways more pictures

The only problem I encountered was a small amount of tearout in two spots and then also the bit decided to scrape across the top of the first body wing because the board wasnt completely flat, it doesnt matter thought because I still need to thickness the pieces slightly so any damage from the scrape will be removed. The other tear out I will need to rebuild the corners with either sawdust or some epoxy. Ill figure that out over the summer when I complete the build.

pictures

tearout 1

tearout 2

scrape

MzI