Neck Angle

I am making a through neck guitar and in order to avoid making a ledge where the fingerboard ends on the neck core I calculated the neck angle to be for the height of the fingerboard where it ends resting on top of the core and it angles back from there. The angle turned out to be around 4.25 degrees. Is this too steep of an angle?

I am making a through neck guitar and in order to avoid making a ledge where the fingerboard ends on the neck core I calculated the neck angle to be for the height of the fingerboard where it ends resting on top of the core and it angles back from there. The angle turned out to be around 4.25 degrees. Is this too steep of an angle?

Are you taking the bridge height in to account, etc. ? Have you read the thread on "How To Determine A Neck Angle" by Perry yet? If not you need to research some more first before you decide on anything. The degree you came up with isn't too wild, although you need to make sure it's right for your guitar. Most are around 2° - 5° though.

I'm positive that I did calculate the angle correctly taking into account bridge height and position, etc. I used Hiscock's book. My question was more along the lines of "Will it look like the neck is bent backwards with an angle at 4.25 because the ones I've heard of are in the 2 or 3 degree range." If averages are from 2-5 then I am reassured. Thank you.

I'm positive that I did calculate the angle correctly taking into account bridge height and position, etc. I used Hiscock's book. My question was more along the lines of "Will it look like the neck is bent backwards with an angle at 4.25 because the ones I've heard of are in the 2 or 3 degree range." If averages are from 2-5 then I am reassured. Thank you.

Gibson guitars range from 3-4 degrees if I'm not mistaken, I've got a set of plans here that say 4.5 for a carved top style guitar.

Give us the scale length, thickness of fretboard and bridge height and I'll double check it for you if you'd like.