Les Paul Junior

Hey Guys,

I love the les paul juniors, and buying one is a bit out of my price range and thought maybe building one would be a less exspensive and fun alternative. I would probably buy a neck, but the body looks like it would be pretty simple to do myself. I have a friend that built a tele, and so he has tools and knowledge to help me with the actual cutting etc.. but I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on maybe some places to get any accurate template to follow, guides, or just any suggestions you had to start my build.

:D

Thanks,

Wheelbyte

Is there a version for a double cutaway? Im thinkin tv yellow and double cutaway just like Johnny thunders.

Also how difficult is it to do a set neck, and where is a good place to buy quality necks?

warmoth.com--thats an awesome place to buy custom necks. you can choose the inlay and wood, fret #. all that stuff. we got our neck from them for the guitar were workin on now. also, allparts.com is the best site for every part you need when making a guitar.

seth

Not to discourage you from building, because its loads of fun, but if you love Jr's, Guitar Center had them on sale for $99 (Korean made Epi Les Paul Jr. to be specific). I picked one up as a travel guitar. I just unscrew the 4 neck screws and fold it up and stick it in my carry on. Makes the luggage a bit heavy, but at least I had a guitar for my week in Houston.

I doubt that you could build a guitar for less than that. Of course the quality of this guitar is not exactly much more than $99. The nut needs to be filed smooth (the high E binds a bit). The tuners suck! The frets arent exactly flat. Once I got the strings changed to 11's and adjusted the truss rod, it had a bit of a nasty buzz at the 3rd fret. So I'm sure what you build will have better craftsmanship and better quality components.

The pickup is a very important part of the sound, so make sure you find a pickup that has that dirty Junior vibe you like. I really dug the tone I had that week in Houston. I was playing into a Danelectro $20 headphone amp with the distortion cranked playing "My Head's in Mississippi" a la ZZ Top! I had a ball.

Good luck with the build! You will have a blast.

-Ed

I doubt that you could build a guitar for less than that.

You're missing the point...building your own guitar is not the same thing as buying a cheapo Epiphone... :D --you have to compare the cost to buying a real LP Jr.

Besides, by the time you get done modifying the Epiphone to make a real guitar out of it --replacing the tuners, the nut, the bridge, the pickups, the pots and jack too while you're at it, not to mention the time you'll spend getting the frets to behave--building your own will end up being cheaper, more fun, and truer to the spirit of an LP jr.

Not sure gibson are making LP Juniors at the moment anyway. Hamer make a nice Korina one for £3000 which i think is slightly criminal. These are very simple guitars to make with very few components, great for a first guitar.

If you are worried about doing a set neck then dont. You can make it as a bolt on neck quite easily by having the neck extending past the fretboard and using a normal fender style neck plate on the back. The scratchplate will cover the extra bit of neck on the front. This works really well with single bridge pickup guitars, but obviously needs a little more planning if you are having a neck pickup because the screws might be in the way.

You can buy LPDC templates here. The pickup routing is different for what you want, but you should be able to figure that out.

Gibsoncustom.com shows a 58 LP Jr reissue, but I couldn't find pricing on it. The DC faded is about $769, but isn't exactly a Jr. If you want the vibe of a Jr without spending a lot of time or money, look at this one from Rondo Music--just replace the tuners.

Thanks Nitefly,

I knew about the thickness but wasn't sure about the front view size. I have the thickness taken care of allready. Turns out cheap crappy construction has saved me tons of work. It used to be a cheap LP standard copy, of which I have have actually completely removed the top in less than 15 minutes. Now it is about as thick as a tele, which I believe is close enough for my little project.

Thanks,

Maurits