Lint Problem!

My compressor seems to be spitting lint into my finish! I don't have a spray booth and have to spray outside. Some of it is really embedded in the paint and when i sand it out I get a funny-looking patch in my finish. So I can't just sand it all out, because then I'd have to respray, and then I'd get more lint, and . . .

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this? I'm on the color coats. Thnx!

It's probably water, not lint. Here's a suggestion, run a hose from your compressor to a vapor trap/pressure regulator setup. Then run another hose to your gun. Buy a screw on vapor trap for you spray gun. They cost about $3 and can be bought at any auto paint store. It's just a little plastic canister but that added protection is well worth it. Also, avoid spraying in high humidity. Oh, and do not use air hoses that have been used with an in-line oiler, the oil will wreak havoc on your finish.

peace,

russ

how old is your hose? one possibility is that the fibrous lining of your hose..assumimg that it's a rubber hose..is breaking down and the fibers inside are coming loose. you might try picking up a new hose and see if that eliminates it.

Thanks, unclej. I'm not sure how old the thing is since I borrowed it from a friend and he bought it second-hand anyways, but I'll check that out for sure. The lint is always either black or red, regardless of what I'm actually wearing or what day I spray, so your explanation makes sense. We'll see!