Piece O' Pine.....

I found a big chunk of eastern white pine, was wondering what you'd think of it as a tonewood. Usually I'd think pine wasn't good for a tonewood, but this piece is really, really dense. It's not quartersawn and it's fairly old growth, apparently. I've heard usually denser = brighter, but is this the case for pine aswell? Opinions? Thanks.

If you do a search on "pine" you'll find quite a few threads. I'll try to summarize. Most of the posts say that pine is a construction material, not a tone wood. It will be compared to plywood and MDF.

Someone usually points out that for a time Fender made early Telecaster bodies out of pine. Glendale will sell you a pine Tele body.

Hyunsu, PG's favorite Korean luthier, has built guitars out of pine and says they sound good. He tap tests the wood he builds with. That's how he picked the piece of pine he made into a guitar.

I agree with Godin. If it seems to be a nice resonant piece of wood try it out. Not all Pine has the same properties. As far as density=good tone wood. Well that is not the case(or rule). Sitka Spruce is an amazing tone wood yet not very dense. Swamp Ash has a lower density than Oak, yet tends to be much more resonant. It has more to do with the structure of the wood than density. Typical Pine used for say 2x4's tends to be less stable, soft, full of knots, and generally does not seem to be appealing as a tone wood. Old growth timbers, well dried(stable), nice straight grain, clear, premium cuts of Pine(variety?) may be a whole different story. Being able to recognize good wood and not accept wood based on general species properties is an important part of building. Best of luck to you!

Peace,Rich

Thanks for the replies. It is a really nice piece of wood, has all the good qualities you described, fryovanni. I'm thinking of planing it down, laminiating on a 1/2 inch chunk of splalted maple and doing a carved top double cutaway sort of thing. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for the replies. It is a really nice piece of wood, has all the good qualities you described, fryovanni. I'm thinking of planing it down, laminiating on a 1/2 inch chunk of splalted maple and doing a carved top double cutaway sort of thing. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I have the tuffest time carving Spalted wood. Be sure not to use a piece that is rotted too much(mushy soft). Be sure to keep those tools really sharp also. When you carve through the soft stuff then hit parts that still have something left to it. It really makes for uneven carves. Best of luck with the project!

Peace,Rich

one of the toughest jobs i ever had in my woodshop was to turn several bowls out of the ends of some true 6x12 floor joist made of loblolly pine out of a house that was built in atlanta, ga. in 1835. hardest damned wood i ever saw and all of the sap had turned into amber and dulled my tools like i was turning steel. doesn't have anything to do with your wood or your project..just sayin' :D

Its hard to believe that balsa is in the hardwood categorie, although its the softest hardwood. :D Pine is a soft wood. If the piece you have is well cured then go for it, otherwise prepare for some severe changes. fresh cut pine can warp to the point of splitting because of all the sap inside the wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Benedetto made an archtop from (seasoned) construction grade pine wood. Didn't look much, but he said tonal qualities were on par with the traditional woods he used. Even though he's an extremely capable luthier, I can't see no reason a good piece of pine shouldn't work for the rest of us too.