A Rimmed Binding?

i've been planning a build for a while,probably going to be a nice 2 humbucker rg with flamed maple top red stain finish

with a bubinga body

now i was thinking of binding,then i thought about a rim

imagine hollowing out,but only down a millimetre,then adding a .60mm veneer,wich will be shaped ant will fit in the recces/chamber

and sand rim flush,there will be a bubinge''binding'' around the veneer

i was wondering if there will be any problems with this?

apart from staining veners that thin will result in curling/warping?

its just an idea i would like to try out

thanks for the input :D

There was some discussion of what you're discussing here. Thorn guitars did something similar (with a thicker top than a veneer) on many of his pieces (with CNC, I believe) and there may have been some further discussion on the board about it here.

I imagine if you going to do an "inlayed top" idea like that, it might be easier to work with something thicker than a veneer.

If you were going to go with something as thin as a veneer, I wonder if you couldn't get almost the same effect by carefully filing a bevel through the veneer - make the angle of the bevel shallow enough and it wouldn't really be noticable as a bevel, but you'd cut through the veneer rather quickly - it'd be work to get the line to flow smoothly, but wouldn't it look relatively the same? I imagine in practice this might be annoyingly difficult to get right, but I'm just spouting ideas.

If you were going to go with something as thin as a veneer, I wonder if you couldn't get almost the same effect by carefully filing a bevel through the veneer - make the angle of the bevel shallow enough and it wouldn't really be noticable as a bevel, but you'd cut through the veneer rather quickly - it'd be work to get the line to flow smoothly, but wouldn't it look relatively the same? I imagine in practice this might be annoyingly difficult to get right, but I'm just spouting ideas.

Thats what I did here.

http://www.badongo.com/pic/148414

It's a flame maple veneer (from Brian, our host) over padouk (the light wood at the top is actually padouk sapwood that was in the board). I think the effect is pretty good.

Brian.

thanks guys,this has really helped

looking at brian d's work i definatly want to try it,

i was hoping not to use a thicker top,even though it makes sense,and the bevel idea also makes sense,its going to be harder :D

i'll try it out with some of my scraps i have lying about,i'll just head on over to that thread and continue the discussion lol

but if my testers go a sucses,or even fail i'll post some pics up

thanks guys :D