Elastic Paint ?

Guest Andir

Guest Andir

Well everybodys talking paint so I thought I would get mine in.

I'm trying to renovate a LP Recording that was butchered in a past life.

Well I've had to graft chunks of mahogany to fill the non standard holes but now I,m worryed that the different mahoganys will swell and contract at different rates thus cracking my paint finish at the glue joints.

What I need to know from you experienced blokes is is there a paint that is elastic enough to tolerate this cracking if indeed it happens.

Ta

Andir

:D Um...why did you make a duplicate thread in the same exact forum? http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...topic=23106&hl= You could have bumped the previous thread. Someone will answer this when someone who knows the answer finds it. Personally, I don't think you'll find exactly what you're looking for. Guitars expand and contract constantly, but the finish sinks into inconsistencies, it doesn't stretch over them. What will most likely happen if you experience different expansions in the wood, like you expect, is that you'll get little rings where the finish sunk around the plugged holes. Then again, if you give the finish long enough to cure before wetsanding, the effect of the finishing shrinking and sinking into inconsistencies will be much less noticeable, maybe even imperceptible.

Guest Andir

Sorry it got in twice but I was having a bad time trying to insert a picture of the guitar and thought I'd lost the post so wrote it again later. I'm older than I think but will conquer the computer yet.

Anyway thanks for the advice, it makes sense.

Andi