Setting In A Bolted Neck With Glue And Such :)

ok i got some guitars lying around and i was thinking about glueing the necks into a couple of them to see if it might allow for more sustaine.

got this bcrich kerry king v with a qual wrap around bridge, was thinking about doing this to it.

i already know all of the neck angles i need/want.

so i was just looking to see if anyone has done this yet and what they got out of it

Big Matt

so i was just looking to see if anyone has done this yet and what they got out of it

You sure about wanting to do this?

I say go for it if you've got the guitars to waste.

If it's only sustain you're after, forget about it --get a compressor pedal and--even better--a little five-watt tube amp cranked, that'll give you all the sustain you'll ever need. I'm loving my Epi Valve Junior. :D

The biggest issue I can see is that the tolerances for bolt on and set necks are not at all the same --a setneck requires an extemely tight joint. But a bolt on joint can be fairly loose --it's the compression produced by the bolts of the neck wood against the body wood that makes the joint. Hell, you don't even need a 'pocket', just the two pieces of wood screwed together.

So chances are, if it's a guitar you're willing to waste (i.e., not an expensive guitar), the tolerance of the neck joint is not going to be tight enough.

My take is that the choice of set neck vs. bolt on is really about two things: looks, because they look very different. And feel --because there's a big difference between the way a Fender-style bolt-on and an LP-style setneck. But that's only an issue, of course, when you're playing on the upper frets. There are probably tonal differences, but that's impossible to quantify, so don't bother doing this in search of 'tone'.

But if you're after changing the feel --then consider replacing the plate with screw inserts, which will allow you to reshape the heel a bit too.

On the other hand, if you wanted to convert a bolt-on neck to a setneck for an entirely new body (that is, one where you route the neck pocket specifically for the neck), then this is entirely possible.

I'm loving my Epi Valve Junior. :D

Did you get the head or combo ? You know about this site, right ?

http://www.valvejunior.com/

I bought the combo, since the head isn't available here (yet?). I'll probably get the head too, that could be lots of fun...

Anyway, Epiphone/Gibson fixed the hum issue for the 2006 models --they changed the cabinet design (for the combo) slightly, look for the version with two openings. Now the amp is as quiet as any other tube amp I've had (including the Laney VC15 I have--nice to have two different sounding amps.)

I LOVE this amp! I'll be looking forward to seeing what kind of change a better set of tubes will make, but I won't bother with that until I wear out the current set.

• 7 months later...

thanks

Big Matt

So should we call our beloved (and the original MetalMatt) small Matt?

haha i am taller than him. im about 6'3 hes 5'9 plus i probably out weigh him. im about 400 lbs \m/

You sure about wanting to do this?

I say go for it if you've got the guitars to waste.

If it's only sustain you're after, forget about it --get a compressor pedal and--even better--a little five-watt tube amp cranked, that'll give you all the sustain you'll ever need. I'm loving my Epi Valve Junior. :D

The biggest issue I can see is that the tolerances for bolt on and set necks are not at all the same --a setneck requires an extemely tight joint. But a bolt on joint can be fairly loose --it's the compression produced by the bolts of the neck wood against the body wood that makes the joint. Hell, you don't even need a 'pocket', just the two pieces of wood screwed together.

So chances are, if it's a guitar you're willing to waste (i.e., not an expensive guitar), the tolerance of the neck joint is not going to be tight enough.

My take is that the choice of set neck vs. bolt on is really about two things: looks, because they look very different. And feel --because there's a big difference between the way a Fender-style bolt-on and an LP-style setneck. But that's only an issue, of course, when you're playing on the upper frets. There are probably tonal differences, but that's impossible to quantify, so don't bother doing this in search of 'tone'.

But if you're after changing the feel --then consider replacing the plate with screw inserts, which will allow you to reshape the heel a bit too.

On the other hand, if you wanted to convert a bolt-on neck to a setneck for an entirely new body (that is, one where you route the neck pocket specifically for the neck), then this is entirely possible.

hmm the site never sent me any notification emails... so yeah, i decided not to follow up on the deal, just sat and thought about it, i thought it would cut down on the necks movement even more and allow for a bit more sustain.

i have thought about the screw inserts though. ill probably try that on one of the cheap guitars.

i only thought about this stuff to maybe learn something.

thanks for the info Mick!

Big Matt