The Ultimate Combination

Here's my idea....

A guitar with HSH wired the Steve Vai way...(1. Neck humbucker 2. split neck and mid 3. MIddle only 4. mid and split bridge).

Now think of how cool it would be to have 3 mini switchs. Two for spliting and one thats a three way for controlling the middle pickup to turn it on/ in the circuit with the other pickups/ the reactivation of the neck and bridge only)

The benifits of this set up is that you can turn your guitar mainly from HSH to HH to SSS wit a couple of flips on a switch without losing your 5 way. Or to any other combo for that matter. The only problem is... does any body have a good idea how to wire this? I've figured the basic splitting at the bridge and neck although the middle switch is driving me nuts. Any help would be much appreciated. And I think this set up would help the entire community.

Here's my idea....

A guitar with HSH wired the Steve Vai way...(1. Neck humbucker 2. split neck and mid 3. MIddle only 4. mid and split bridge).

Now think of how cool it would be to have 3 mini switchs. Two for spliting and one thats a three way for controlling the middle pickup to turn it on/ in the circuit with the other pickups/ the reactivation of the neck and bridge only)

The benifits of this set up is that you can turn your guitar mainly from HSH to HH to SSS wit a couple of flips on a switch without losing your 5 way. Or to any other combo for that matter. The only problem is... does any body have a good idea how to wire this? I've figured the basic splitting at the bridge and neck although the middle switch is driving me nuts. Any help would be much appreciated. And I think this set up would help the entire community.

The mid Pup is a single coil, dont split it. Use two, 2pole switches. Split the pups before they go to the 5 way. Just wire it like any other three pick up guitar and it will do all of the above...plus you left out SSH :D Edited by Tjensen

Nice try but no cigar. The single coli won't be split unless one is using a noiseless four conductor. In that event one coil will be switched of in the 2 and 4 positions to remain noiseless.

Edited by Edgy_Gecko

Of course, there are LOTS of combos you won't get with that setup. With ANY practical setup, really. Checkout the guitarnuts site for a couple "all that AND a bag o' chips" wiring setups. I use the double barrel setup with a coil split switch on my HSH guitar. 17 combos, I think. Not all great, but most very usable. But I DON'T have an "all on" position.

I've always wanted a really versatile guitar, I think in my next build I'll have HSH pickups, with standard strat switching, then a push button to keep the bridge pup always on. so i can do Neck and bridge only, then with two small switches as coil splits, one for neck and one for bridge. so that gives me....

Neck, Neck split,

Neck and middle, Split neck and middle.

Middle only.

Middle and Bridge unsplit.

Middle and Bridge split.

Bridge only, Bridge split.

Bridge and neck, unsplit.

Neck split bridge normal.

Neck normal, bridge split.

Neck and bridge split.

All on normal.

Neck split, middle, bridge normal.

Neck Normal, middle, bridge split.

All on, bridge and neck split.

You get the idea.

Thats Plenty of options for me, reasonably easy to navigate too.

Edited by Firefox2551