Special Pickups Switching Hsh, 5-way, P-up Q's

Firefox2551

Hey All!!!

What I want to to is have a 3 pickup guitar, H-S-H, I would like to use a 5 position switch with standard strat switching, (Neck, neck mid, mid, bridge mid, bridge) However I also want the ability to go bridge-neck tele style, I've seen strats with a switch or button to keep the bridge pickup always on, this would also allow for all 3 pickups on.

And I would like to have two seperate coil splits, one for neck one for bridge, I plan on using only 2 knobs, (volume-tone) So can I install push pull knobs and have the volume be for neck and tone be for bridge?

I would also like some kind of built in tuner, I hate having to use stompboxes or plug in tuners, I find that if you are using lights and they go really dim between songs its hard for me to make out what the tuner is doing and I'd rather just look at my guitar and see whats happening, I think I saw a tuner that went in a Strat jack plate and I've seen ones that go on the heel of the fretboard so I'm pretty sure they are at least out there, worst case scenario I have a really nice Seiko tuner that I could mabye modify and somehow incorperate into the control cavity cover, (Rear routed guitar)

Also what are some good humbuckers? I'm looking for an overwound PAF style for the bridge and something relatively mind for the neck. Then your basic strat sounding middle single. I was thinking Mabye some Carvin C22's and an Ap11?

Lota questions there I know But I'd like to know if my dreams are possible.

Thanks Guys!!!

Edited by Firefox2551

Hey All!!!

What I want to to is have a 3 pickup guitar, H-S-H, I would like to use a 5 position switch with standard strat switching, (Neck, neck mid, mid, bridge mid, bridge) However I also want the ability to go bridge-neck tele style, I've seen strats with a switch or button to keep the bridge pickup always on, this would also allow for all 3 pickups on.

And I would like to have two seperate coil splits, one for neck one for bridge, I plan on using only 2 knobs, (volume-tone) So can I install push pull knobs and have the volume be for neck and tone be for bridge?

I would also like some kind of built in tuner, I hate having to use stompboxes or plug in tuners, I find that if you are using lights and they go really dim between songs its hard for me to make out what the tuner is doing and I'd rather just look at my guitar and see whats happening, I think I saw a tuner that went in a Strat jack plate and I've seen ones that go on the heel of the fretboard so I'm pretty sure they are at least out there, worst case scenario I have a really nice Seiko tuner that I could mabye modify and somehow incorperate into the control cavity cover, (Rear routed guitar)

Also what are some good humbuckers? I'm looking for an overwound PAF style for the bridge and something relatively mind for the neck. Then your basic strat sounding middle single. I was thinking Mabye some Carvin C22's and an Ap11?

Lota questions there I know But I'd like to know if my dreams are possible.

Thanks Guys!!!

Don't know about strats, but here is a tele that has the five-way plus mini for the basic pickup switching you describe.

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf...0105500CPg2.pdf

I have the same basic setup, except I'm using a DPDT on-off-on mini-toggle to split the humbuckers simultaneously (it's wired to give me outside coils/humbuckers/inside coils).

You could do the same with a DPDT push-pull (except a push/pull can't do the inside/outside coil trick - you'd have to choose one or the other), then use the other push-pull to turn on the neck p/u independent of the 5-way. If you want to split the humbuckers independently, you'll need an extra switch.

For pickups, I like Seymour Duncan (several PAF variations to choose from). If you want to spend a little more, Lindy Fralins are really nice. Lots of other good ones out there - Rio Grande, Dimarzio, etc.

No clue on the tuner. :D

Mike

Most of the major manufacturers have diagrams on their websites for just about any setup you'd want. Also, I haven't found a kit for a tuner yet, but you could probably just get a tuner and take it apart, like one of those Sabine LED tuners.

Just about any of the big names make great pickups. There are some boutique manufacturers that make great pickups too, but often times they aren't worth any more than what Seymour Duncan or Larry DiMarzio are charging for their stuff.

Best thing to do is figure out what kind of budget you have for the whole guitar and go from there.