Is Recording Through An Amp The Best Way?

ceve4life

Plugging straight in, without going through an amp sim at the very least (say, one of Line6's products, Pod, GuitarPort, TonePort) isn't going to give you the tunes you want. A mic'd tube amp is still in a very different category, but may not be as simple to record, and will require neighbours who don't mind a lot of noise.

I have Sonar 4 and was wondering, is recording through an amp the best way? Or should I just go straight into my audio interface? I am new to recording and am curious!

I really depends on what you want as results and what you have to work with. If your amp has a direct out, modeling 'stuff', what have you...give it a try. Simple way to get decent results (no worries about environmental noise, mic'g..etc). Sometimes you may want the sound of a collective environment, the sound of a room, the reasonance of speaker cabinets, the tone produced through those speakers...etc...these things are more difficult to achieve because what you hear standing in that room vs what you get recorded will possibly differ greatly. Take's some time and patience but often produces super results if handled well.