Ktm-9 Over Paint?

This might be a silly question but, does anyone forsee any problem using KTM-9 over paint. I only ask because all the pics I've ever seen featuring guitars done with KTM are natural wood finishes (a lot of acoustics). BTW, I did search the forum first but found nothing. Thanks in advance.

Yes. But, what I mean is over a solid block color of, say, automotive paint from a spraycan. I've painted a guitar black and in the past I've used this high gloss spray (varathane, I think) but the fumes are crazy even with my mask on. I've used KTM on bare wood (sealed but unpainted) and I really like it. So I'm wondering if I can use it over my black paint job.

Most likely it will work fine, but you need to find out first by trying it on scrap and see what happens.

BTW, if the fumes from Varathane are bad with your "mask" on then you are either using the wrong respirator or you are using it incorrectly. You shouldn't smell anything at all. Make sure it is sealed well and you are using the right type of filter cartridge.

BTW, if the fumes from Varathane are bad with your "mask" on then you are either using the wrong respirator or you are using it incorrectly. You shouldn't smell anything at all. Make sure it is sealed well and you are using the right type of filter cartridge.

I think it might have something to do with my gotee. The mask seals nicely around my nose but air seeps in around my chin. If you know a solution, I'd be greatfull (other than shaving!).

• 3 weeks later...

I think it might have something to do with my gotee. The mask seals nicely around my nose but air seeps in around my chin. If you know a solution, I'd be greatfull (other than shaving!).

Any facial hair (except a mustache) will prevent a respirator from sealing properly, this includes not shaving for a day or two if you are normally clean shaven. For a standard cartridge type respirator (half face or full face), there is no solution to this other than shaving (sorry). If you don't have a complete seal, you basically have no seal and are getting exposed to the vapors (sorry again).