Tuners at the bridge...?

This is actually for a 12/6 doubleneck Strat proj. I'd like the necks to match (maple/maple with big Fender CBS-style headstocks), but I'd prefer not to cram 12 tuners onto the headstock (along with a clusterfunk of string retainers).

What I'd like to do is place 6 small tuners on the body somehow, past the bridge, and have 6 small ferrules in the (stringthru) headstock of the 12 neck.

Has anyone tried placing tuners at the bridge? Pics would be helpful.

thanks!

Yeah, thanks Bud. It was your reply that inspired me to post on this specifically.

This has really got me thinking...on an unmodified Strat-style body, the octave strings could end up being pretty long between the bridge and the tuners, maybe even longer than with a trapeze-type tailpiece. Maybe I'll stick a PUP under there just for kicks! Maybe another (adjustable) bridge too, so I could tune 'em up!

Help me out here guys...I've seen y'all do some pretty original stuff...

Hey there,

I have a pic here of an A10/12 string. It has the 6 holes in the headstock and the six little guide wheels to control the direction of the strings to the tuners. Sorry about the bad scan but you get the idea. Hope this helps you!!

Washburn A10/12

Jackson guitars did basically the same exact thing for thier doubleneck with the 12 string.

Dave->

Hey Dave

Thanks! I had seen a 12-string Jackson V that gave me this idea, but I'd never seen this Washburn guitar before. Since I want to do this with a double-Strat body, the Washburn is very close to what I want to do, just with a Gotoh 12-bridge instead of the TOM.

With the Gotoh the octave strings are top-loaded through holes (like a Tele bridge), so I could go straight from the bridge to the tuners. Now if I can find a low-profile PUP to jam in there! Maybe a Fishman so that I can remove it in case I hate it...???

Erik

I honestly havent seen them but I have an idea for you. You could find someone who plays bass and get a set of his old strings and cut the balls off(man I hate saying that :D !), and then drill and counterbore the holes in the back of the headstock and press those in the counterbored hole. Instant brass homemade ferrule!!

Dave->