25 Frets? Worth The Hassle?

I am building a Caparison style guitar for a friend of mine (and one for me at the same time. No point in making all those templates for nothing right?) and he toyed with the idea of the 27 frets like on their Horus model. Using jumbo frets and 25" scale that would surely just be for cosmetics, right? I don think my fat fingers would fit.

Years ago another friend of mine was going through his grunge/drop d phase and was complaining about not having 2 octaves for soloing in D using the good old pentatonic box shape. My question to everyone who cares to answer is this? Do you think having 25 frets is worth having a go at or is it just going to be like a gimick?

I have already ordered a 25 fret ebony board and have the body almost ready for paint. I think it will look cool and maybe slightly useful. What does everyone else think?

Luke

:D

Edited by Nekul

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

I reckon give it a go .

Then you can tell us all about it :D

I think I know the Caparison guitar you're talking about.

27 frets, applehorn headstock & rebated logo in the guitar face?

Edited by oz tradie

Yep, thats the one. I was actually thinking about rebating a Hemi or something into one just to see what it looks like. Now that would be a gimick.

The body is Silky Oak (of course. You just have to love free timber). I am actually building 2, one with a 25.5" scale rosewood board and the other with the 25" Ebony board. Both will have bound fretboards and 3mm MOP dots on the neck.

I am in the process of setting up my shed/workshop at the moment so guitar building is not happening much. I built about 4m worth of benches, got a new drill press and 14" band saw the other day and am just getting the space ready. Once that is done these things will be full on for a few weeks. I also have to fit my hotrod in their at some stage.

Luke

I was actually thinking about rebating a Hemi or something into one just to see what it looks like. Now that would be a gimick.

Good to see you flying the flag of all things aussie :D

Which one's for you? 25.5 or 25 scale?

Hotrod sounds interesting, too.

I'm looking at getting a decent Drill press, so if your willing to divulge your sources......

so....... anwhere you know that stock quality drill-pressery ? :D

I gotta be honest, the drill press was a cheapo. I figured for the amount of use it was going to get it might as well just be useable, not abuseable. I got it from Repco of all places. Its called Polar (some cheap Asian import no doubt). It was $199 with a set of laser cross hairs that arent worth a cent. They are housed in a plastic contraption that moves every time you knock it. Needless to say the drill press works fine, the lasers dont.

I invested in a Robo sander so I dont need to worry about tear out anymore. Havent used it yet but will soon. As soon as the fretboard turns up. Im still waiting to hear about that.

As for which one if for me, my mate is in a metal band called Mortal Sin. He wants the ebony one, so do I. But its going to see way more stages with him using it than if I was so I think the rosewood is mine. Theres always more time to build another one later if these 2 turn out OK.

As for flying the flag for all things Aussie, my hotrod (unfinhsed, like most of my guitars) is a 1930 FOrd Model A roadster, all steel. THat comes home this weekend. Hence my apprehension about getting the rest of the shed set up.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

google Zachary guitars, the guy on that site uses jumbo fretwire on the lower frets, then narrower stuff thats the same hight on the upper frets.

That way your fat fingers may fit between the frets easier :D

Edited by Ben

Yeah, it was kinda cool to see the original line up. I still think John Bush was awesome. I have already made one guitar for my mate, a red LP with one EMG81 in it. He loves that thing. I made a black one for me at the same time (of course). I love mine.

You can see the black one here, plus a few other odds and sods.

guitars

google Zachary guitars, the guy on that site uses jumbo fretwire on the lower frets, then narrower stuff thats the same hight on the upper frets.

That way your fat fingers may fit between the frets easier :D

Cool. Perhaps my fingers should go on some crazy soup diet or something.