Pinstripe On Existing Finish

Hey everybody. I was wondering if anybody has ever had success adding just a pin stripe to an existing finish. From what I have been reading on this site so far, I should sand down the pin stripe area a little first and then spray the paint over that and follow the procedures in the tutorials.

Would the best way be to use masking tape over the guitar on the areas I don't want painted and leave the clear coat or should I remove the clear coat over the entire guitar and just redo after spraying the pin stripe?

Any help you could provide me is truly appreciated.

Hey everybody. I was wondering if anybody has ever had success adding just a pin stripe to an existing finish. From what I have been reading on this site so far, I should sand down the pin stripe area a little first and then spray the paint over that and follow the procedures in the tutorials.

Would the best way be to use masking tape over the guitar on the areas I don't want painted and leave the clear coat or should I remove the clear coat over the entire guitar and just redo after spraying the pin stripe?

Any help you could provide me is truly appreciated.

Anybody? Bueller?

it is better to rough up the finish slightly before applying any paint but you dont need to remove much, just a quick going over with fine wet and dry paper will do the trick. You can just mask what you want then stick paper over the rest of the guitar to reduce wastage of masking tape. Its quite hard to get a really clean line with masking tape, have you considered buying a roll of speed stripe tape from an automotive supply place.

it is better to rough up the finish slightly before applying any paint but you dont need to remove much, just a quick going over with fine wet and dry paper will do the trick. You can just mask what you want then stick paper over the rest of the guitar to reduce wastage of masking tape. Its quite hard to get a really clean line with masking tape, have you considered buying a roll of speed stripe tape from an automotive supply place.

I will certainly look into the speed stripe tape, thank you. I know next to nothing about painting guitars.