Electronics Bummer

Steve3269

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie to electronics so bear with me. Hoping that you can help as I need this fixed fast.

I have an Ibanez SR1305 bass (96 I think) that I recently made an attempt at replacing all the pots and the EQ board inside. After suggestions from several friends, I used a weller soldering iron, solder pump etc... etc... My joints look good. No frayed wires or seemingly broken joints. The board an pots came pre-wired from Ibanez so I only had to re-wire the neck and bridge pickups, the pickup balancer and the input jack. I plugged it into my practice amp and it seemed to be working just fine. Now the problem. I went to practice with the band and the bass just didn't seem to push the amp. I have a Hartke 3500 which I have never had to turn up past 4 to be heard either at rehearsal or on stage. We broke to take 5 and when I plugged back in, the bass cut out. I tapped it on the back of the body and it came back to life but continued to cut out intermitently. A friend suggested that it might be a broken wire in the insulation but I have no idea where to start.

Hope someone out there can make a suggestion as to what the issue could be or an easy way to find it.

Thanks!

Steve

if you're 110% certain that its not a problem with the solder joints themselves, then my second guess would be to check for any shorts/stray wires touching other parts etc.

that is, after you've quadruple-checked the joints :D

if you're 110% certain that its not a problem with the solder joints themselves, then my second guess would be to check for any shorts/stray wires touching other parts etc.

that is, after you've quadruple-checked the joints :D

I did both but I'll check again. I had some pictures of "good" vs. "bad" solder joints off of a site to help. I practiced on some old equipment first as well. Any other ideas in case all appears ok after a re-check? Thanks.

Perhaps the battery isn't making a solid enough connection?

Galen.

Galen,

I thought that could be it too. I checked the wires and there is continity in the circuit and I put a brand new battery in it. I have a spare battery hookup that I can try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve