First Relic Job

couldnt really do anything as the bloody suns gone in so i cant age the clear coat. i may put a coat or two on tomorrow so theres less chance of me rubbing through it again when i dull it. i'll just see what the weather decides to do. i put the plastic bits on the fingerboard for the first time since i stained them to see what they look like - looks pretty good. no pics of that but i might do one later

This looks like it'll be one great looking guitar, I loved it before all the added wear a lot and it doesn't look too shabby now either. Are you going to switch out the electrics or is it just going to be a cosmetic overhaule?

Keep up the great work. Your paint job has inspired me to do some sort of psychedelic paint job on my own squier, so a little question: what prep work did you do prior to painting the Hendrix-design on it?

Thanks

Maurits

i'm just keeping the electrics as they were as they sound pretty good to me. and it's a second guitar, my homemade flying v (which is getting a facelift) is my main instrument. a few years ago i did a little mod to turn the second tone pot into something that makes a few of the settings sound like humbuckers (ish)

as for preperation, i just sanded down to the paint layer, keyed it up a bit and sprayed over it. if i was doing it again i would go right down to the primer to make the finish thinner though.

here's a little pick of the scratchplate with the stained knobs and pu covers. today i filed down the edges of the neck and middle covers to simulate wear.

as you can all see i've from aiming for mild wear to some quite drastic wear in places. o well. i also got a can of compressed air to (hopefully) check the finish. i know it works on nitro, not sure about anything else. i guess i'll see

i'm just keeping the electrics as they were as they sound pretty good to me. and it's a second guitar, my homemade flying v (which is getting a facelift) is my main instrument. a few years ago i did a little mod to turn the second tone pot into something that makes a few of the settings sound like humbuckers (ish)

as for preperation, i just sanded down to the paint layer, keyed it up a bit and sprayed over it. if i was doing it again i would go right down to the primer to make the finish thinner though.

here's a little pick of the scratchplate with the stained knobs and pu covers. today i filed down the edges of the neck and middle covers to simulate wear.

as you can all see i've from aiming for mild wear to some quite drastic wear in places. o well. i also got a can of compressed air to (hopefully) check the finish. i know it works on nitro, not sure about anything else. i guess i'll see

Looking great! You may want to stain that pickguard a little. The pickup covers and knobs look sweet, very old looking. Make sure you hold the can of compressed air up-side-down, and keep it away from skin when doing so. If the "compressed air" technique doesn't work, try freezing the guitar for a while then setting it outside in the sun.

i tried the compressed air on the headstock face. it seemed to work beautifully, but when i wiped the moisture off the checking disappeared. so i tried it again and left it for half an hour, but the same thing happened. any ideas whats going on there?

as for the scratchplate, its got a coat of acrylic on it to protect the design, but im leaving it on when i put the guitar in the sun (if we ever get any more) so hopefully it will yellow a little

Edited by hooglebug

It actually looks cracked when your spray it? Is it possible that the condensation left by the compressed air is just forming into shapes that look like cracks? Try rubbing some tan shoe polish on a cloth over the area in question. If it's not cracked, you'll just have a smear on the finish. If it is cracked, the shoe polish will make it look like some dirt has settled into the cracks over time.

peace,

russ

well it's finished (or i might put a few more dings in it).

the headstock cracked a little but its hard to see. the body didn't crack at all, neither did it yellow in the sun, though to be fair there hasn't been too much of it. if we have a few really sunny days i'll stick it outside and see what happens.

apart from that i'm pretty happy with it. it would have been a lot easier with a stock strat, but never mind.

anyway, have a look and let me know what you think. if you think there should be more dings and scrapes, where should they go?

full length

front

headstock

cutaway

forearm contour

pointless arty dark shot :D

full length back

back

neckplate

neck view

Edited by hooglebug

Looks pretty damn convincing!

I wouldnt bother deliberately adding any more dings or scrapes if it were me, just play it now and let them create themselves B)

I still love the paintjob!

I think I've heard people report cracks in the finish when they've sprayed nitro over acrylic BTW. Obviously, read up before you go buy any nitro :D

I think it was at the MIMForum, so you may want to check there....

Just an idea.

You can buy/make tinted laquer too to help with the yellowing.

Or buy tinted nitro! Kill 2 birds with 1 stone :D

Again, nice work!

I think that some beltbuckle dings would be worthwhile. Just let them occur semi naturally. I think what it is really missing is cracks. I do not know if you get get checking with acrylic, but nitro doesnt take that long to cure if its only a few top coats. I've heard of people using razor blades as well as compressed gas, but have never actually done it. Just keep darkening up the wood on those bigger ones, and make them a little irregular, with a little wear to the fretboard.

I love that artwork, and if it were me, I could never relic that thing.

i dont think i have the patience to wait for nitro! thanks for the nice words. us west yorkshire guys have to stick together!

If you do decide to use nitro (and if you dont have a spray gun etc) then this person:

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html

is great to deal with and sells tinted nitro.

Where about in west yorkshire are you from? I'm in Halifax/Huddersfield area.

well who knows maybe in the future i'll decide to give it a go with some nitro and try to make it look a bit better. for now i'll think i'll just play it for a bit - until i get my flying v back in action.

maybe a few more dings here and there as time goes by, who knows.

custom 22 - i've had it like it was for a few years and i just got a bit bored with it. i still wanted to keep it so i thought i'd give relicing a go. this guitar has had a few different paint jobs in its time, but i think it'll stay as it is now.

and ben, im from wakefield

Edited by hooglebug

I think what it is really missing is cracks. I do not know if you get get checking with acrylic, but nitro doesnt take that long to cure if its only a few top coats.

There's a company called Folk Art that makes acrylic paints and a crackle medium for acrylic paint (bottle says it's compatible with wood). I don't know if it'd work with a nitro clear coat over it, but it can take a waterbased varnish.

http://www.plaidonline.com/productDetail.asp?itemID=692

they also have this stuff

http://www.plaidonline.com/productDetail.asp?itemID=30064

well its been a few days now. its seems to sound a lot better. i know it doesnt but you know what i mean. it feels really good. i've never been too fond of matt finishes but it just feels so good, and looks good too.

i finally got the headstock to crack and stay cracked! yay!

headstock checking

i dont think the body is ever going to do that, unless i put more clear coats and let it cure for weeks and weeks to be sure. maybe when my flying v's finally finished (i've been waiting over 10 weeks for a circuit board t get back from a repairer!?!) i'll do it, but for now im just gonna enjoy it