Gibson Repair: Help

I bought what appears to be a Les Paul,circa 1995 (it's got the serial number, and the "made in the USA" logo stamped into the headstock, etc)

When I play guitar, it goes out of tune on the higher frets, it's in pretty bad shape, alot of fret buzzing,etc. I opened the truss rod cover to look at the rod, and the hole where the rod goes in is filled with what appears to be cement or some kind of spackle compound, surrounding the truss rod. I'm wondering, is that the way the guitars are made? Or did the guy I bought it from do that himself, maybe the rod is broken, etc?

And, if I decided to get the guitar adjusted, do you have any idea of what it would cost me? The neck is in pretty bad shape and I'm just wondering if it's worth it to try to repair it, since it's a Les Paul.

Thanks

Paulieriff

Please don't make multiple identical posts in different areas of the forum. I have combined your 2 topics. Also, you don't need to hit return at the end of everyline - the forum will automatically wrap your text around depending on the screen resultion and window size of the person viewing it!

-Setch.

Please don't make multiple identical posts in different areas of the forum. I have combined your 2 topics. Also, you don't need to hit return at the end of everyline - the forum will automatically wrap your text around depending on the screen resultion and window size of the person viewing it!

-Setch.

thanks, will do

It'a Gibson, right? Not an Epiphone? If it's a Gibson, then it's definitely worth the 50 bucks or whatever to have it set up by a pro. He'll be able to tell you if there's a problem with the truss rod --can you get your money back if there is?

HI, yes, it's a genuine Gibson Les Paul, I checked the serial number on the guitar dater website. I have a feeling the accessories (pick ups, etc) may be cheap but I'm not sure, I bought it on E-bay from a Chinese salesperson, can't get the money back, its a used item, etc. So, just 50 $ to set up? But what if the truss rod is broken, etc, any idea on the cost of that operation? Thanks for your help, very much appresicated...

Unfortunately there are quite a few poor quality Chinese knockoffs on Ebay lately. You may have purchased one.

If it was inexpensive then you may have a project guitar to learn some skills on.(This site is great for learning about those skills) If not then look at the seller's feedback and contact Ebay.

Remember Buyer Beware.