Vintage Guitar Refinishing Costs

Hi to all

I want to do a guitar project for a new finish

A few questions

1> I want to refinish this Tokai guitar (1st pic) in this Vinatge Sunburst Color (2nd Pic). The Tokai has a veneer top. Is this possiable? Also the there is binding everywhere on the guitar. Will the binding have to be redone as well?

PRS_NA3.jpg

gibsonJ200main.jpg

2> If this is posssiable what are the avg costs in the US between taking it to a refinish pro and doing it myself? In other words how much will this costs me?

3> How hard is it to do a vinatge sunbust for a 1st time project? I have some exp. from painting airplane models to draw from

Thanks!, John

question 1: are you sure that's just veneer (paper-thin, would have to be formed to the carve) and not a carved laminate (solid wood) top?

if you're unsure, post pics of the edges so we can see.

advice:

if it's a carved top (not veneer) and you remove the paint yourself, warmoth charges $220 for a "black-red-yellow" burst, similar to what what you want. if you want a more pick-shaped burst, you'd have to contact them (they claim that that type of extra usually costs about $50, though it may be more). there's a $30 upcharge for working around binding.

I'd saw to let the pros do this one, as a burst is not (to my knowledge) an easy finish, and I think it's quite a bit different from model painting.

just IMHO

question 1: are you sure that's just veneer (paper-thin, would have to be formed to the carve) and not a carved laminate (solid wood) top?

if you're unsure, post pics of the edges so we can see.

advice:

if it's a carved top (not veneer) and you remove the paint yourself, warmoth charges $220 for a "black-red-yellow" burst, similar to what what you want. if you want a more pick-shaped burst, you'd have to contact them (they claim that that type of extra usually costs about $50, though it may be more). there's a $30 upcharge for working around binding.

I'd saw to let the pros do this one, as a burst is not (to my knowledge) an easy finish, and I think it's quite a bit different from model painting.

just IMHO

Hi

It is a carved veneer top. Are you sure Warmoth can do the finish?

On the website it says "We only offer finishing services for the parts that we build here"

Have they changed their policy or can recommend someone else?

Thanks for the info

John

warmoth charges $220 for a "black-red-yellow" burst, similar to what what you want. if you want a more pick-shaped burst, you'd have to contact them (they claim that that type of extra usually costs about $50, though it may be more). there's a $30 upcharge for working around binding.

Warmoth doesn't do re-finishing. They only paint their own stuff.

I wouldn't recommend this for a DIY project if you've never done a re-finish before. If it's a thin veneer it can easily be sanded through, or destroyed by chemical strippers.

This model goes for about $500, correct? I could see a proper professional re-finish easily costing you $300 - $400. Way more if you want the fingerboard replaced and inlay work added. Not worth it, IMO.

It could be a DIY, but you'll need a lot of education on finishing, and practicing on guitars you don't mind ruining. I suspect you wouldn't want to ruin this one. :D

Mike

warmoth charges $220 for a "black-red-yellow" burst, similar to what what you want. if you want a more pick-shaped burst, you'd have to contact them (they claim that that type of extra usually costs about $50, though it may be more). there's a $30 upcharge for working around binding.

Warmoth doesn't do re-finishing. They only paint their own stuff.

I wouldn't recommend this for a DIY project if you've never done a re-finish before. If it's a thin veneer it can easily be sanded through, or destroyed by chemical strippers.

This model goes for about $500, correct? I could see a proper professional re-finish easily costing you $300 - $400. Way more if you want the fingerboard replaced and inlay work added. Not worth it, IMO.

It could be a DIY, but you'll need a lot of education on finishing, and practicing on guitars you don't mind ruining. I suspect you wouldn't want to ruin this one. :D

Mike

Hi Mike,

I ebayed mine for $300.

Ok If I go the Pro route can you tell me where i can look for a refinisher for Vintage Sunburst? Ive tried searching on the net but have not had much luck finding one

Thanks for the info

John

Edited by federaldepot

judging by the pic in your other post

this is not a veneer but a carved top

and once again its a nice looking guitar

how bout you sell it as is and invest that money

into what you realy want and save this guitars life

instead of killing it. i mean you want to refinish it/change the finger board

ill buy it to save its death..cause that seems to be where its heading