Trans. Paints On Different Woods

hello, why dont you try a lumber store, or a home depot type store, see if they have any scrapes, i'm sure you could find some there. and most likely could get them for free. or try a paint store, they different charts that show different finishes on different woods.

Take some thinner/naphta along to the wood joint, and ask them if they mind you wiping some on (it evaporates). It's a pretty accurate representation of a clear finish.

Alternately, pictures:

Mahogany:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics4..._finished08.jpg

(Neck is Honduran, body is African - Khaya)

Maple, pretty accurate:

http://www.connorguitars.com/maple2.html

Wenge:

Hopefully Godin SD will come along with shots of his guitar.

EDIT: also, that first link (my guitar, btw) has a flamed maple back cover. Which is a natural finish. Shot of the pickup rings (same, clear finish):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics4..._finished04.jpg

Edited by Mattia

Whoa nice guitar Mattia!

I deleted the end of that URL and found my way to a few more photos of it too- that inlay is amazing!

Does it have its own thread anywhere on the forum? If not it should :D

Not bad for a 'hobbyist guitar tinkerer' :D

Whoa nice guitar Mattia!

I deleted the end of that URL and found my way to a few more photos of it too- that inlay is amazing!

Does it have its own thread anywhere on the forum? If not it should :D

Not bad for a 'hobbyist guitar tinkerer' :D

Thanks!

Uh, not it's own thread, no. Only a GOTM entry back in November, IIRC. Something like that.

(and since it's PRS-esque in style, as in 'the devil's guitars', y'know...;-)

Thanks (to everyone), it helps a lot. It's just that Ii don't want to choose a colour that will look good with only one or two of the woods. If anyone has good pics of guitars with these woods that would be really great. My laminates are (left to right) mahogany (V-wing), 10mm wenge, 30mm maple, 20mm wenge (centre), 30mm maple, etc. The fingerboard is ebony (relatively light coloured) and the headstock has a brazillian rosewood veneer. Ideas welcome. And thanks again.

Maple will take whatever colour you want it to. Wenge will just lose any contrast it's got if you start staining it, but will likely remain...brown with a side order of brown. Maybe blackish. Mahogany, unless you bleach the hell out of it (and at that point, use white Limba instead) can take cherry reds, dark colours mostly, nothing lighter than the wood itself.

Honestly, what do you want to do with the guitar? What goal do you hope to achieve? If you're building from scrap, buy the woods and start testing your own finishes on there.

It's for a final school project, i dunno if waldorf rings a bell, but I really just want a guitar looks good that i can say I made (with some help). Red burst is sound like a good idea, but I'm still thinking just transparent black, which could look cool with my black hardware.

What I've been doing is I have a few larger size pieces of the scrap of the woods I'm using, and I'm testing my finishing options using those. Then I plane the pieces and start again.

I think that's the best way for you to figure out what you want--just glue up a couple of test pieces from the scrap wood.