Pickup Mystery

vicarious484

Hello All,

I recently installed 2 Dimarzio pickups in a guitar that I built. With this project being my first, I didn't have the wiring right. I was getting a sound in all 5 positions but the sound was weak. I did some further modification of the wiring I had done and later all I could get was a sound in positions 1-4, but not the full series humbucker sound of position 5. I took it into a music store (which I am still waiting after a week) and the guy says he's not getting any continuity in the pickup. How could this be? How could I possibly get a sound in positions 3 and 4 if the pickup was bad? He says maybe the lead wires are damaged. I am very frustrated and confused. He still hasn't gotten around to the guitar and lied about when it would be ready. This is a joke! Whatever happened to reliability?

So, is it possible I damaged the pickup by electric shock or anything of that nature? And how do I check for continuity in a pickup? Any help or insight into this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

Hello All,

I recently installed 2 Dimarzio pickups in a guitar that I built. With this project being my first, I didn't have the wiring right. I was getting a sound in all 5 positions but the sound was weak. I did some further modification of the wiring I had done and later all I could get was a sound in positions 1-4, but not the full series humbucker sound of position 5. I took it into a music store (which I am still waiting after a week) and the guy says he's not getting any continuity in the pickup. How could this be? How could I possibly get a sound in positions 3 and 4 if the pickup was bad? He says maybe the lead wires are damaged. I am very frustrated and confused. He still hasn't gotten around to the guitar and lied about when it would be ready. This is a joke! Whatever happened to reliability?

So, is it possible I damaged the pickup by electric shock or anything of that nature? And how do I check for continuity in a pickup? Any help or insight into this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

It sounds like a busted pickup. It is common that you will get some sound but very weak. A winding in the pickup is broken or a wire has come loose. With Di Marzios having no covers they are open to damage. Check the bobbins and see if there is any damage. It might be worth getting it rewound but it is most likely time to get a new pickup.

Melvyn Hiscock

You could have one of the coils of the pickup broken... Then it could work as a single-coil (in position 2-3-4 sometimes, depends on the guitar) but not as a series humbucker...

It is not that common that windings in both coils get broken but a broken winding in a single coil can often leave you with a thin sound. the point is that the continutity through the pickup as a whole is broken. If you coil tapped this pickup you have a 50% chance of it working in one position, but only if the break in the coil is on the coil 'nearest' to the earth connection.