It Arrives Today

Hey Drak, yeah I get in there a few times a year (Neal generally has better prices :D). This time around, they did indeed have what I was looking for, but I didn't see anything much smaller than conference table sized....for well over $1000 and up. I didn't want to drop that much coin.

Good tip on the alder! Neal's stock is kid stuff.

This one set me back $350 with shipping...they had photos of both sides, talked to Sue about any checking. I pretty much knew the deal.

Now...where to begin...?? This will require some thought. :D

Quilted waterfall bubinga with sapwood. I've been collecting lumber for a bass proj, and decided it must have a bookmatched waterfall bubinga top with sapwood in it, after I'd seen a piece that was sold on the 'Bay. I only needed enough for a 1/4" drop top, but could not find the figure I was looking for anywhere. Except here.

:D:D Wanna trade some wood...

Bass all the way, to start; its the reason I got this. I've modified the shape of the Yei Bass, and you may recall that there's some hardware left over from that proj. I don't want to reveal anything more than that yet, but it WON'T be a 1-piece instrument. :D

There are other back-burner ideas...

• 2 months later...

OK...today I managed to rough out 4 white bubinga fretboards from one edge of the sapwood (if you haven't seen it, scroll back a few posts....). Looks like two of them are big enough for 5-string bass, the other is only guitar sized. The last one is for me. :D

I'll finish them off tomorrow, and post them then. Or Monday.