Buffing With An Ro Sander?

I have a question for ya, do you have a drill press (i'm assuming no). I mount my foam pads in my drill press and buff bodies out using that now, it works great!

I have the same RO sander as you, and i'd personally never use it to buff guitars. For one, with the variable speed ones you can set the oscillations, and I think the RO oscillates too much ( i think oscillates is the word).

I'm going to have to find my manual on the thing to see it's specs just to be sure, but I remember in the DVD's Dan said to have the oscillations low.

I have a question for ya, do you have a drill press (i'm assuming no). I mount my foam pads in my drill press and buff bodies out using that now, it works great!

I have the same RO sander as you, and i'd personally never use it to buff guitars. For one, with the variable speed ones you can set the oscillations, and I think the RO oscillates too much ( i think oscillates is the word).

I'm going to have to find my manual on the thing to see it's specs just to be sure, but I remember in the DVD's Dan said to have the oscillations low.

Actually, I have a Ryobi 12" drill press. Hadn't thought of using it like that... hmmm...

I have the Spray Finishing Basics VHS, but I haven't watched it yet - still reading the book. Maybe Dan covers the RO buffing thing in there? Something to check out tonight... :D

OK, I watched the video (twice) and Dan doesn't mention anything about speed or oscillations on the RO sander. If I can find some hook/loop pads locally I might test it on scrap. I'll also try the drill press setup... kinda like a poor man's pedestal buffer? :D Between 800-1000 rpm should be good, if I recall.

I used to do it the same way as Erik did, but the vice kind of broke the plastic on my drill :D You have to be careful when tightening the vice for sure.

The drill press i've got goes from 900 RPM straight to 1,350 RPM, so I use it on 900 RPM. I've never ventured into using the 1,350, but i'm tempted to try it on some scrap. Maybe i'll do that tomr.

Dan doesn't discuss speeds on the video because the speed on his DeWalt (and most RO sanders) is not adjustable. If you do it that way, you have to keep it moving and don't let things get too hot. Just be careful. Frankly, it isn't too much worse than using a drill. The RO part does help, and it is really easy to go too fast with a drill and an 8" (or so) Stew-mac pad. Of course, that could be said of a pedestal buffer too.

The random-orbit sander works great for buffing. :D

I set it to its slowest speed, loaded the Meguiar's foam pad with fine compound, and let it do its thing. Soooo easy - you don't have to anchor the body down while you buff the front and back, and you can hold the body upright for doing the sides and work the sander/buffer with your free hand.

glossclose.jpg

Mike