Newbie Saying Hello...

Hi folks, I'm new to this board but I've been lurking for a few months and wanted to get in on the fun. I had read about the site from some posts by Scott French and it peaked my interest.

I'm the art director and chief designer for a national architectural sign company by profession and a bass builder by hobby. I'm in my 6th year of a self directed apprenticeship in building basses. I have a website at http://home.mindspring.com/~adhamilton if you're interested in looking at my work. Eventually, I'll move this site over to my commercial site, hambonecustombasses.com, but it will still be awhile before that happens.

I'm not a prolific builder but that's by design. I've taken an interest in building a lot of my own tools as well as building instruments and that takes some of my time too. Understanding the way my tools work helps understand how they can help me and how they can't. Some folks say that no amount of tool knowledge will help my builds but I carry on blithely...

I don't make a steady point of marketing my work. As of now, I have a small, dedicated following and that's all I can handle. I don't have pricelists and feature's on my website because I really don't want to build for the general public until I can produce a more professional product. Those that buy from me, have been able to take advantage of this because my charges are well below even the lowliest of the more commercial builders. Usually, I only make enough to buy parts and wood.

I figure that by the time I'm 60 or so, I'll be able to build an instrument that will compare favorably to other lower end customs that are available now. By then, I'm hoping to add a little to my retirement income and die in my shop a contented person.

Good to meet y'all :D

Wow. Your jigs are insane.

The Scarface is my fav. <3

And then the ADJUSTABLE radius sanding... that thing.... would be so useful..

Did you try doing Multi-radius with that thing?

I can tell there's a large focus on Precision in all your jigs as well as your builds.

Awesome stuff.

Btw, you say...

I figure that by the time I'm 60 or so, I'll be able to build an instrument that will compare favorably to other lower end customs that are available now.

But if you don't mind me asking, how old are you now? (Or passively, when would that be?)

Hi Hambone! Cool information on the site and nice work! I'm looking forward to more on tutorials and jigs... :D

Hope you spend a lot of time here!