Ran Into A Hardware Problem

Here's a picture of the one I was referring to:

th_bridge02.jpg

Basically, I took a block of rosewood, cut it to size(and rounded the sides for the tune o matic look), drilled holes for the posts, and routed a slot for a bone saddle that I had made. To get the saddle to fit tight, I rubbed it with wax, filled the slot it fit into with some epoxy, then pressed the saddle into the slot. Then I cleaned off everything that was pressed out of the slot and left it to dry. Once it was dry, the wax allowed me to pull the bone saddle out of the epoxy(although it takes some effort, I needed to use a set of pliers). All you have to do then is file the saddle for the propper intonation, slot it, and put it back into the bridge.

peace,

russ

Here's a picture of the one I was referring to:

th_bridge02.jpg

Basically, I took a block of rosewood, cut it to size(and rounded the sides for the tune o matic look), drilled holes for the posts, and routed a slot for a bone saddle that I had made. To get the saddle to fit tight, I rubbed it with wax, filled the slot it fit into with some epoxy, then pressed the saddle into the slot. Then I cleaned off everything that was pressed out of the slot and left it to dry. Once it was dry, the wax allowed me to pull the bone saddle out of the epoxy(although it takes some effort, I needed to use a set of pliers). All you have to do then is file the saddle for the propper intonation, slot it, and put it back into the bridge.

peace,

russ

Ohhh thanks that's really helpful

I might just try that

I'm assuming the strings would have to come through the body though?

Well, you could always make a matching wooden tailpiece. I opted for string thru ferrules though.

I might even be able to make a tailpiece out of metal...

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I may try it :D

But then it wouldn't match the bridge so well, now would it?...unless you make the bridge out of metal as well. Furthermore, do you have the resources to get metal chrome or nickel plated, should make a metal tailpiece. Take these factors into consideration.

Well, you could always make a matching wooden tailpiece. I opted for string thru ferrules though.

I might even be able to make a tailpiece out of metal...

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I may try it :D

But then it wouldn't match the bridge so well, now would it?...unless you make the bridge out of metal as well. Furthermore, do you have the resources to get metal chrome or nickel plated, should make a metal tailpiece. Take these factors into consideration.

I guess so, and taking more thought to it I decided on using ferrules instead.

One question about the bridge you made though... Where did you get the posts for it? Or at least what would they be called so I can look around to get them?