Binding A Neck

Generally the binding thickness is part of the total width of the neck so the fretboard will need to be routed to accomodate the intended width.

Yes, there is a ledge that the binding sits on. You can glue on the fretboard and then rout the ledge.

The other way to do it is to leave your neck blank wide, cut your fretboard to final dimension, glue it on (EXACTLY CENTERED), shave the neck down to final width carefully, then install the binding.

I've always attached my binding to my fingerboard prior to attaching it to the neck. It takes a little care, but since I usually order my fingerboards pre-radiused, it's easier for me than attempting to route a ledge after the fingerboard has been attached.

I do it basically the same way I do regular fretboards. I usually shape my fretboards then attach then to the neck (which is just a tiny bit wide), and then use a scraper to bring the neck to the fretboard (very little is removed and the neck is trued to the fretboard). To bind it I just shape the fretboard then remove the thickness of the binding from ecah side, and then attach the binding. A quick check to confirm it is right where it is supposed to be, and biz as usual.

Peace,Rich

P.S. When gluenig the binding in place. It is super important to check and be sure you clean glue that may seep into the slots (before it dries). If the slot fills up it can be a real bugget to get the glue out after it cures, and if it is not clean frets will not seat well.