Anybody Using An Ada Mp-1?

mikhailgtrski

I recently rediscovered my old ADA MP-1 preamp. I performed the last tube cathode-follower mod (from www.adadepot.com) last night and I'm really liking it a lot. Much more plexi-like. :D

It has replaced my Marshall JMP-1 (which had power supply transformer noise issues).

Just curious what other players are using...

Mike

The MP-1 is nice, but i like the Rocktron Piranha more. That's probably because of the built in HUSH circuitry on the Piranha. Do any of the mods cut down on how noisy the MP-1 is?

As the MP-1's bite is by daisy chaining two Ax7 tubes, it's hard to put something in between but realistically, I never had a 'problem' due to noise. I've always run it with a midi foot controller and always in the habit of stomping on a clean quiet preset when not playing. Granted it wouldn't take anything to put a noise gate on the backend of the preamp. At the same time I wouldn't use one anyway. The one piece of gear I've ever owned that will allow me to go to the extremes of 'from a whisper to a roar' with the turn of a volume knob. :D A gate would kill it...IMO

Do any of the mods cut down on how noisy the MP-1 is?

There are noise reduction mods out there. I think they involve swapping out capacitors and replacing some of the op-amps.

Mine is very quiet. The cathode-follower mod reduces the gain somewhat, but it still has more than I'll ever use. I run the MP-1 into a cranked tube power amp, which gives me most of the crunchiness. I get a little hiss if I crank OD1 up past 6 or so, but I think it sounds better with OD1 fairly low and OD2 cranked anyway. I have a Hush Super C in my rack, but it really doesn't have much noise to deal with. :D

I haven't had much time to work with it, but my first impressions are that the higher gain patches on the MP-1 are a little thicker, and a little more open sounding than the JMP-1, but the cleans don't seem to be quite as glassy. It might just need some eq tweaks.

Mike