Project Syzygy

Cerb

I will start this thread off in this manner...

Disclaimer: Work shown herein may or may not be finished in a timely manner. Nothing but the top wood has been bought, and therefore I need time to gather stuff. Thank you for your cooperation.

Here is the original sketch:

th_1.jpg

Specs:

- 4 string Fretless

- Turquoise fretlines

- Semi-Hollow

- 32 1/2" Scale

- Continuous cavity covers

- Inlayed straplocks

- Angled headstock

- Singular adjustable string holders rather than a nut

- Fiber optic side markers

- Lotus inlay on back of bass

- Nitro Lacquer

Wood:

- Wenge neckthrough with padauk at body

- Flamed redwood, Padauk, Walnut, Wenge, Walnut, Padauk, Flamed Redwood wings

- Gaboon Ebony Fingerboard

Hardware:

- All black

- ETS MK III headless bridge

- Duesenberg string clamps

- Wooden Knobs

Electronics:

- Aguilar OBP-3

- Nordstand DC pups

THE PROGRESS SHOTS CAN BE SEEN HERE

Edited by Cerb

Nice choice of woods and a great original looking design. Normaly I only like very traditional shapes, but this looks great.

That's one thing that I strive for when designing; a nice blend of traditional and modern.

Awesome body design, looks very comfortable for classical style.

I'm hoping that it will be. I don't usually play classical style, but it does help straighten my back, and helps it to not cramp up while playing. The shorter scale will also help with the reach while playing classical style.

Sounds awsome

i thought it would be interesting 2 put padauk and wenge together its a nice contrast.

Wenge and padauk, in that order, are my two favorite woods. On my last bass I used a padauk headstock backplate on a wenge neck. Not only do they look great alone, but they look even better together :D.

Edited by Cerb

Other than the coolest word in the dictionary? Yes. :D

You'd have to see how I'm planning on doing the nut to understand where the name comes from. While designing the nut elements the word popped into my head because of the way they look and the alignment of them, so the name just stuck.

Plus, it's the coolest word in the dictionary!

• 2 weeks later...

They are mainly that large because I'm going for the hollowbody feel, and the body center in wenge, so I need to reduce as much weight as possible. Plus, I hate working in cramped up control cavities. I figure that since the plates will be continuous, it won't really detract from the look. If I wasn't making continuous plates, the cavities would be much smaller.

• 3 months later...

I got a few small things finished today. Just click the thumbnails for a larger image.

Fingerboard tapered

th_10.jpg

15* angle and holes for nut elements of end of fingerboard

15* angle in neck wood

Headstock lams glued and clamped

Headstock lams dry with 15* angle

Positions marked on fingerboard

Holes drilled to accept fiber optic cable

End of fingerboard shaped

Channel routed on the back of the fingerboard for cable

Tomorrow I will probably route the channels for the CF and TR rods and glue up the scarf joint. With any luck, by the end of the week I will have the ebony backplate on the headstock, have the neck tapered and have the headstock shaped.

Edited by Cerb

The scarf joint turned out perfect. I'm very pleased with the results, being as it is my first and I was quite worried about it. Here it is after cleaning it up:

th_20.jpg

I finished all of the work on the fingerboard as well. Here is is after radiusing to 10" and cutting an access hole for truss rod adjustment:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Cer...Progress/21.jpg

Edited by Cerb