Minwax Vs Duplicolor

Ok Ive decided for my Telecaster project that I would finish it with just a clear coat and no color. But I do not want to use any oils because I like the look of a clear coat. SO the question is should I use the Duplicolor Clearcoat rattle can? Or should I use the 1 part minwax polyurethane in a rattlecan. The minwax, surprisingly is cheaper by the can.

Its like comparing apples and oranges. I've had success with both. However, the Duplicolor gave me more trouble. I've learned that poly isn't as reactive with other paints and atmospheric conditions as lacquer. If you plan to use poly over natural, light colored wood expect to have a slight amber tint showing up.

I would go with the Minwax poly, less hassle It lays down thicker and is self levelling. A tele is a perfect guitar to shoot as well because front and back are flat. Here is a maple tele I made last year. I used about 2 cans of Minwax high gloss poly. The first couple shoots were done with the body hanging and then used the rest with the body perfectly flat and level. It settled out like a mirror. :D

Don't be too zealous when scuffing in between shoots. Poly doesn't repair itself like lacquer, ie. lacquer fuses with previous layers and poly lays down as separate layers. Any break thru mistakes are hard to fix, so just roughen the surface and wipe down with a damp cloth.

I've hard nothing but bad about Duplicolor. Apparently it's VERY soft, and takes forever and a day to dry.

True, depends on temp and humidity and how thick it was applied. I usually place my guitars on a clean beach towel to work on them. Five days after spraying Duplicolor the finish on the guitar seemed to be fairly solid. I laid it on a towel and found the imprint of the towel fabric impressed into the finish a few hours later. ya live and ya learn, :D

Edited by Southpa

Yeah, I pretty much new where your story was heading, even before I got to the end. I've heard similar horror stories from Duplicolor users. I've never touched the stuff, but feel I don't have to. If I can, I try to learn from others' mistakes, so I can save myself a bit of headache. Sorry to hear about your experience.