Hiya, New Forum Member

I've been thinking about building my own guitar for about 3 years and I am now ready to start buying stuff to do the work. Besides a bandsaw and a router, what else do I need tool wise? I see somebody put up a link for a tool list but it doesnt work. Also, is there any reason why manufacturers never use a dovetail neck to body joint?

I've been thinking about building my own guitar for about 3 years and I am now ready to start buying stuff to do the work. Besides a bandsaw and a router, what else do I need tool wise? I see somebody put up a link for a tool list but it doesnt work. Also, is there any reason why manufacturers never use a dovetail neck to body joint?

First off, welcome to the forums! I trust you'll find it an overall friendly community B)

Secondly... *Cracks knuckles* The list.

-Eyeballs, to read a TON of tutorials. Everything on both the forums and main website is valuable, free information. I'd start with reading as much as you can, though if you've been thinking about building for 3 years, chances are you've been visiting the boards as well, if not posting in them.

-Templates. Oh dear lord, do I wish I had a few templates when I chopped into my mahogany, hahahaha. http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/electricguitar.htm <--- Check that website out to see if your prospective guitar is on it. It'd be well worth your money and time to get a set, if your model is there. Stewmac also has templates for many different things, including pickups, bridges, and neck angle.

-Write every last part you're going to need: Body wood, neck wood, fretboard, frets, fret markers, tuners, truss rod, nut, bridge, pickups, jack, knobs, switches, wiring, capacitors, insulation, binding, paint, strap buttons. I'm sure there's stuff I missed in there, too.

-Then make sure it's all compatible, and price it out.

-I'd go to www.warmoth.com and figure out what woods you want to use. Depending on how adventurous you are, picking up a preradiused, preslotted, prefretted neck may in fact be the way to go. I did it :D Warmoth, Carvin, and Stewmac all have necks predone, as well as many other websites.

-"Make Your Own Electric Guitar" - Melvin Hiscock. I personally have never read the book, and I'm doing quite fine, but many many people swear by it.

-A really good straightedge and ruler

-Sandpaper, everything in common grits from 40 to at least 1000. The sawdust shall flow in the streets.

-Lots of glue, and lots of clamps

-A drum sander would be good for getting the sides of the guitar

-An orbital sander for making tummy/forearm cuts, or a spokeshave

-A series of rasps and files for making all types of sexy curves

-Check the dimensions of all your parts, and make sure you have the correct drill bits to drill holes

-While we're at it, a drill press, and a nice clean, level work area

-And a moderately-temperatured work area. The less weather/pressure changes, the better.

-I used a nice flat wood block to do my flat sanding. the more area you can cover in one pass, the better.

-Wood putty. I needed a bit of it, and chances are, most first-timers and even experts make booboo's occasionally.

-If you're ever unsure of anything, type some keywords into the search area. If you don't find your answer, start a thread in the area you need assistance in.

-When it comes time for finishing, make sure you have compatible products for your woods, enough product, a well-ventilated area, and the right steps. There are a TON of finishing tut's on the forums, you should have no problem finding a lot of different ideas.

-And scrap wood! To test finishing options on. If you get a prefab body and neck, then you won't have any scraps, obviously :D

Did I miss anything? Other than the steps needed to actually build the damn thing, of course. Those are on the main website :D

Others can fill in anything I might have missed, which, if I know myself as well as I think I do, may be a significant chunk.

Good luck!

I'm still undecided on the woods I want to use. I wanna stay away from woods I consider to be routine such as maple, alder,basswood and poplar. Wanted to go with something I consider unique to me since the only guitars I've every owned were all made from routine woods as stated above. So i have been thinking about for the body to be made out of Korina, Walnut, Mahogany, Swamp Ash. whatever else might be out of the norm as far as me only having experience playing Ibanez brand and other mass produced POS clones.

feel free to put up some recommendations.

safety...

glasses and a mask at all times...

last night I had teh glasses on my head(not over my eyes) so i could see somthing else, I didnt even realize and went back to routing. yep.. shot in the face.. took me forever to get a little piece out of my eye. and then it still felt like it was there.

Im using swamp ash, and its really easy to work with. From what I understand it used to be fenders main stock(in the 50s)

another thing, is to plan your steps..

otherwise you'll be routing over curves and edges, when if you had done that first, it would be perfect.