Adding A Capacitor...

PNG123

So, I am planning to do a modification on my Yamaha Pacifica (strat Style Guitar)

Modification: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php or more likely

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

This Modification is know amongst many of you as the 'Quieting of the Beast'

Now i have everything prepared but i just have 2 minor problems:

1) In order to shield the cavity i am going to cover it in aluminium foil instead of copper tape (should have the same effect.

Now what type of adhesive should i use to stick the Aluminium foil to the cavity (ideally non-toxic glue).

and Secondly:

2) I Want to stick a 400 Watt Capacitor as protection against shock incase of a faulty current.

The problem is i can't understand where to stich the capacitor (ie: how do i wire it?)

Thanks for all your help,

PNG123

you wire the cap (.001uf) with a voltage rating 0f 500 v with a resister(220k ohm) in paralell

cut the ground from the jack and wire it to one side of the cap/resister

the other end of cap/resister to the back of your tone pot

hope this helps

1. Careful with using aluminum foil as its is extremely difficult (read impossible) to solder to it. You will have to sink a screw into the wood and foil and solder to the screw.

2. I'm not sure why you are so concerned with faulty current, but I don't think a capacitor is the way to go. Why not try a fuse?

So,

First of all , thank you both. :D

@spazzy: I am a noob and didn't quite understand what you say, would you have a picture or something for my simple mind to feast on :S

(actually i re -read it and i think i under stood,

So i buy the two parts, put a cap and from 1 part i take a wire and sold to tthe Resistor, and from the resistor to the jack (ground), and from the other side of the cap to the tone pot.

Problem is ,which is this jack ground exactly?)

@Primal:

Since the Pick-Ups and Controls are virtally in the same compartment i'm not going to need to weld the alumium. (and i am not even thinking of screwing a screw in my guitar),

I could also use copper tape if you think it won't work but I already have Aluminium foil in the kitchen which is waiting to be used :D.,

About the Capacitor,

I wanted to fit the Cap , because i was given the advice that it is an apparently 'easy' way of having an extar protection against shock

(Read: Shielding a Strat

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to read about the Cap part.

If you think the fuse makes more sense i can do that if you tell me how.

Thanks ,

PNG123

Edited by PNG123

the ground on the jack is the middle ring and usualy has a braided wire going to it

and for a pic here

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/femf...capresister.jpg

you could remove the ground from what ever it connects to inside the guitar

then solder what you removed to one end of this resister/cap then solder the other end

back to where you removed it from

and listen to primal aluminum does not solder well

your better off with self stick copper

pic courtesy of Dan Earlwine's book Guitar Player Repair Guide

Edited by spazzyone

the groun on the jack is the middle ring usualy has a braided wire going to it

and for a pic here

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/femf...capresister.jpg

you could remove the ground from what ever it connects to inside the guitar

then solder what you removed to one end of this resister/cap then solder the other end

back to where you removed it from

and listen to primal aluminum does not solder well

your better off with self stick copper

Ok thanks , and do you think the Cap should do the job? Or should i consider a Fuse as Primal said?

About the snipping part i will post a pick of my wires later on ,just to double check :D

The last thing I want to do is to talk you out of modifying your guitar, but I think you should understand more about circuits in general before attempting anything. Learn what a pot does, what a cap does, what shielding does and basic circuitry. There are many tutorial, books and web info that will help you. Enjoy.

The last thing I want to do is to talk you out of modifying your guitar, but I think you should understand more about circuits in general before attempting anything. Learn what a pot does, what a cap does, what shielding does and basic circuitry. There are many tutorial, books and web info that will help you. Enjoy.

Believe me i have read MANY tutorials.

I know what Caps, Resistors, Inductors, Transistors and Pots do (seperately).

Well as far as i know Shielding grounds all your pick-ups and controls if i understood well, this decreases hum, (the same effect of when you touch the strings).

I think covering the cavities with copper tape, and adding a cap and a resistor in parallel shouldn't be a problem,

but i like to double check if i am doing the right thing before jumping in and screwing my guitar.

I couldn't find many sites about guitar wiring (for noobs in simple english), if you know any tutorials pls tell me.