Over-radiusing Fretwire: How Much?

I'm considering trying my hand at a refret job on one or more guitar necks I currently own, and one thing I always hear is that it's a good idea, to help avoid fret-end pop-up, is to over-bend the frets. Well, my question is: By how much? Nobody (far as I can tell) ever tells you THAT. Say I have a neck with a 12" radius. Should I be overbending at 10"? If you over-bend too much, doesn't the fret stand a chance of popping, in the center? Just want to be clear in this, before I dive in, headfirst.

Edited by Racer X

I'm considering trying my hand at a refret job on one or more guitar necks I currently own, and one thing I always hear is that it's a good idea, to help avoid fret-end pop-up, is to over-bend the frets. Well, my question is: By how much? Nobody (far as I can tell) ever tells you THAT. Say I have a neck with a 12" radius. Should I be overbending at 10"? If you over-bend too much, doesn't the fret stand a chance of popping, in the center? Just want to be clear in this, before I dive in, headfirst.

if there's a set rule for this i've never seen it. first.. understand that bending a fret before you seat ii is just so that the ends of the fret seat first and thus won't pop free when you seat the middle. if you go with that then any radius that allows the ends to seat first is ok. i bend all of mine by hand with a plyer that stewmac sells for that purpose so none of them are exactly the same and they really don't need to be. just bend one a bit and install it..you'll get the feel for it fairly quickly.

I have a 12" radius fret board which I put 8" radiused frets into and it worked a treat.

Although it sounds like a big difference it isn't when you think of it.

12" radius equates to a 24" circle and 8" to a 16" so theres only an 8" size difference.

So when the frets go in you are only putting a small amount of tension on them without actually bending them or putting a kink in the fret

Don't over radius too much.Especially with a binding.

I messed up my first boundboard that way.It was rosewood board with a maple binding.The maple being softer than the Rosewood gave the fret end something to dig into.

I am soooooo dumb :D

Edited by ibreakemineedtobuildem